Covering a kitchen floor?

teachblsJanuary 21, 2008

What do you have for a rug in your kitchen area? We recently renovated/added on such that the old kitchen is now our eat-in space, while the new kitchen is housed in the addition. We need a good sized floor covering to protect the quarter sawn oak floors, most especially in the eat-in section, beneath our dining table.

An actual rug doesn't seem like a practical choice, given spillage, crumbs, etc. I'm drawn to the idea of a painted floorcloth, but haven't found a good source yet. I've seen (in magazines) laser cut or water-jet cut vinyl floor treatments that were kind of interesting, but none yet in a style that is traditional or appropriate for the period of our house: 1902 Colonial Revival.

Any ideas? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justgotabme

I actually prefer no rug at all under a table that used often. Seems like it only makes more work and covers up a beautiful floor in the process. We have thick felt pads with a somewhat sharp ring to pound into the bottoms of the legs of the table and chairs that protect our oak floors. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes and even Wal Mart has them in their hardware department.

Bookmark   January 21, 2008 at 4:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whenicit

My personal preference is to not worry about protecting the wood as 'normal wear and tear' is OK and expected. But you will have to refinish quicker than if you protected the floor. I can't imagine putting vinyl on wood, it just would seem like one of those mats you put under high chairs? Of course it is probably different than I am imagining??

I'd leave it naked. As for crumbs, you can get a dog. Oh, but then you'll have to worry about the dog because they really scratch wood floors up!!

Bookmark   January 21, 2008 at 5:00PM
More Discussions
How to respond to social backlash aimed at your mid mod aesthestic? R
Today's retrorenovation blog was filled with subjects...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
Red / burgundy accent wall?
Hi all! Would love your opinions on this ! My husband...
eesmerelda
Are cordless roller shades practical with a large picture window?
Hi all! I plan to replace my windows and doors this...
texasgal47
TV show Perception set decor
If you haven't watched the show, it's a good one. But...
Annie Deighnaugh
More art questions .. Hanging an eclectic collection.
Ok .. Not sure if you all remember me posting my daughters...
zipdee1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™