Menopause - Few Symptoms - HRT?

cattknapMarch 19, 2002

Well, I've been in menopause for about 18 months. I have a short/mild hot flash or two every week - always when I'm under stress - my life is pretty stress-free. I don't have vaginal dryness - my hair is thick and my skin is dry but good. I have taken no hormone therapy of any kind. I don't sleep at night but then I never did - so its hard for me to compare before/after menopause sleep. I see the commercials about taking HRT and shrinking - what about that? I am 5'10" and could probably shrink an inch or two - is that a bad thing? I had a hysterectomy when I was 37, I'm 51 now and I have my ovaries - non-functioning at this point I guess. I am open to suggestions. Enlighten me ladies, my symptoms are almost non-existent - would you go on HRT if you were me?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet

Hi Cattknap,
You could look up some of the past posts here. There have been alot of discussion on the advantages/disavantages of HRT. If I were you, I probably wouldn't start it.....but I would be very careful to get plenty of calcium and exercise and eat well. Also.....if you're not going to take HRT, you should have a baseline bone densitometry, to determine if you are losing bone. If you are, there are drugs you can take to stop it.
Good luck!

Bookmark   March 20, 2002 at 5:36PM
Carina

Cattknap - I wouldn't. I took the mini-pill for 6-7 months, just to try to alleviate some of what was happening. Some it helped, some not - but I feel better since I quit taking it. I kind of resent that there is an entire supplement/medical industry built around a perfectly natural occurence, and I'm not going to buy into it unless therte is some actual health issue that I need to address.

I've had a couple of hot flashes, but I eat (and always have, before it became trendy) a high fruit/veg/soy diet. Along with plenty of chocolate. :) Known to reduce hot flashes, sweats etc. stay active & healthy as you already are, do basic common sense health screenings (like Catherine suggests) and don't worry!

BTW (DH is a radiologist) a certain amount of bone loss and degeneration is absolutely normal. Most people over age 30 have some, normal, normal, normal!

And I hate that your hair is still thick! Jeez. Mine's thinned quite a bit in the last couple of years...I think it's migrating to my chin.

Bookmark   March 28, 2002 at 1:12PM
cattknap

You are funny Carina - loved the chin hair remark - unfortunately, I can identify with what you are saying. (I just pluck when no one is looking). I agree with what you are telling me - I feel that if my symptoms should ever really negatively impact my life, I would consider other medical possibilities. I tend to me on the allergic/sensitive side, so the thought of experimenting with hormones doesn't thrill me. I realize things could change for me, but for now I am not considering HRT as an option. Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   March 28, 2002 at 7:50PM
Carina

Sounds like we have a pretty similar philosophy...I think it's OK not to micro-manage every little physical thing. If there were one product that was known for a fact to be free of negative side effects, and would fix things like insomnia, mood swings and chin hairs, I'd take it in a heartbeat. But I am willing to deal with little stuff unless my life becomes really unpleasant - I'm pretty stoic anyhow.

You pluck? hell, I'm considering shaving, haha. Well OK - it's not really that bad, I hope!

Bookmark   March 29, 2002 at 8:43AM
cattknap

I have a 48 year old friend who has to shave her arms when she has to wear formal, sleeveless dresses......all my on-top-of-the-arms hair has disappeared - probably just migrated to my chin. Actually plucking can be very therapeutic - sometimes I actually love mindless activity - probably because my mind is also disappearing.

Bookmark   March 29, 2002 at 9:56PM
kathyg_in_mi

Hello,
Hell, I wish my hair would go to my chin, I have to shave the mustache every few weeks! I've been in menopause for 13 years (Yeah, no periods) and am not on HRT. My doc wants to start it, but I have fought it off so far. Had bone density, results said I have the bones of a 20 year old (so turn me inside out!). Don't know what happened to the outside, but apparently the inside is AOK. Menopause is a narural thing and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I suppose if you can't stand the symptoms, then you would take drugs for it.
Good luck, Kathy G in MI

Bookmark   April 2, 2002 at 7:34PM
MoAtWork

Carina,
Are you serious? chocolate for hot flashes? My diet is very high chocolate! my night sweats have gotten worse, so I guess I need to increase my chocolate intake? (oh, I hope so!!). Puhleezzeeee say it's true!

Bookmark   April 3, 2002 at 12:45PM
Carina

Darn - I wasn't serious about the chocolate! Try quitting it for a week & see what happens, but don't you DARE come back & say it made your nights sweats go away.

I don't ever want to have to justify my Ben & Jerry's intake (or chocolate Easter eggs.)

Bookmark   April 5, 2002 at 4:42AM
More Discussions
Aches and Pains- premenopausal
I'm 44 and premenopausal grandma of 3,soon to be 4........
glammato4
Peri-menopause ???
Hi - I'm new here so sorry if this question has been...
Trikki
Natural supplements for menopause?
Hello I was wondering if there are any naturals to...
Leslie810
Complete identity crisis with my body
Hi Ladies, I am now 58. Had my last period at 52 1/2....
garule
Does anyone peri have this weird head feeling?
I am 44. I have the regular peri symptoms; hot flashes,...
javabean1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™