anxiety

msteachMarch 10, 2006

Hi,

recently started with this lovely trip of perimenopause and tried all of the natural stuff to get mood swings under control. I couldn't take the anger raging in me anymore and went to the Dr. and he gave me HRT (short term). It's only been 3 days on that so I guess it really hasn't kicked in yet. My mood swings are better a little but the anxiety is still getting me. I go from absolute panic that something is going to happen to my family to being so angry at them for possibly leaving me it's not funny. I know this makes no rational sense, but I keep thinking that this is due to levels of hormones being out of whack. Do you think so???? I know deep inside I would be crushed if anything were to happen to them, but the anger is also overwhelming. Will this get better as the hormones level out? At least with the HRT I have been able to sleep better, but when I do wake up I'm either having a massive hot flash or I'm in the throws of an anxiety attack. Nights are so much worse and being alone is awful. I'm a teacher and now at my planning time when I can be alone, I choose to go to the teacher's room just to be around people. Do any of you out there feel like any of this applies to you?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Heathen1

No, I am not that bad... bad, but not that bad. I'd give the hormones a week...if you aren't getting relief, you might have to up the dose. Or try something like Prozac or whatever... your doc knows. Let me tell you though, being alone might help keep you out of prison for murder! :D Sometimes I WISH I was alone!
When you are having these swings... take a deep breath, let it out slowly... try to center yourself. It really does work, and will help you feel like you are back into a little control of yourself.
You can help with the nightsweats and hot flashes by turning the heater down... I don't like it, but the fact that my BF likes it cold really keeps the sweating down, plus it will help on bills! :D

Bookmark   March 10, 2006 at 11:16AM
maryjo24

msteach, I can relate! My anxiety is making me crazy! I can't help but think something horrible is going to happen. My dr. put me on a low dose of paxil about a year ago. It helps a little bit but I seem to wake up at night (several times) to a feeling of anxiety & then a *&^%$#* hotflash!! I can't take HRT because I have very cystic breasts. I am almost 49 years old & I haven't had a period in 6 months. My dr. said "welcome to menopause". I say grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bookmark   March 24, 2006 at 11:28PM
cheerful1_gw

I can definitely relate to the anxiety. My doctor put me on Sarafem (prozac). I haven't been on it long enough to make a judgment on it, but it took some of the edge off. Menopause stinks.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 6:13AM
cheerful1_gw

The Sarafem helped for a while, but I feel like the anxiety is back in full force. I shake, and my heart pounds.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 7:00AM
Heathen1

Cheerful, are you on hormones? Sounds like for you, it might be necessary.

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 8:36PM
cheerful1_gw

I'm not, but will be seeing my GYN this summer. I will talk to her then.

Bookmark   April 20, 2006 at 6:49AM
More Discussions
Weird Adrenalin Rushes
I'm brand new to this wonderful forum, and wondering...
Robbie_WY
Need to hear from woman past meno
Hello Everyone, I am 58 and had my lat period at 52...
garule
Natural supplements for menopause?
Hello I was wondering if there are any naturals to...
Leslie810
Advice on HRT
I am 53, I have not had a period in about 2 years....
gigim
Menopause without HRT
Is there anyone out there who does not take HRT? I...
susan
Sponsored Products
Relaxing Paradise Fabric Hammock
$29.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™