Weight gain and anti-depressants

tglovellFebruary 5, 2007

A few years ago my doctor put me on Zoloft for hot flashes, she said she had good results with it but the down side would be weight gain, since weight gain had never been a problem with me I started on it because the hot flashes were terrible, now my weight has gradually crept up on me and no matter how much I try to diet the weight stays on. My question is, if I stop the Zoloft will it be easier for me to loose the weight, I can't take most diet pills (perscription) because you can't take them while on anti-depressants. Just wondering if anyone had ever been on Zoloft and lost any weight after they stopped taking it. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shotzy52

After 5 years on an antidepressant I am now weaning myself off. Let me see, next time somebody says "I am going to give you a drug, it will probably make you gain weight and cause you to have a very dimished sex drive", I think I will say NO THANKS I wish someone had pulled me aside and said start exercising and watch what you eat! Weight gain esp. around the middle for us woman, is very common during menopause. Severe depression is another thing altogether. I would love to hear from others that their drs. thought Zoloft would be good for hotflashes. Is it too cold where you live to start walking 30 mins. a day? After being on EVERY diet and diet pills. I finally realize, I had to burn up more than I took in, to loose weight. Maybe one day someone will invent the magic wand or magic pill for weight loss, but for now it is still what they taught us in middle school. Getting off anti-depressants can be tricky, make your dr. give you a plan for it. Good Luck, be well. Shotz

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 10:07PM
Heathen1

Don't some of those antidepressants have to be weaned very carefully? My gyno tried prozac on me for pms, which helped a lot AND IT'S particular side affect is a REDUCTION of appetite! I just have the problem that I believe the US is over prozacked. hey, emotional? Pop a pill! But I have to admit, it works on the PMS for me... not for the menopause though. but everyone is different.

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 8:43PM
herholdt-j_nsk_com

I am on cipramil 10mg and I have picked up 20kg just wondering if there is at all any diet pill that I can take just to help me a little bit in loosing weight.

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Extremely Dry Skin/Cause????
I've had terribly dry skin for several years now. It...
Dancey
Hydration cubes
Has anyone tried the Bezwecken hydration cubes that...
texasone
how long do you have hot flashes and night sweats
I have gone almost two years without a period. The...
azdeb
Aches and Pains- premenopausal
I'm 44 and premenopausal grandma of 3,soon to be 4........
glammato4
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Bahama Weave 60 in. Mocha Cream Floor Lamp with
Home Depot
Yosemite Home Decor 18 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Black 18DRBL
$14.40 | Home Depot
Noir Arm Chair in White
$174.99 | Dot & Bo
Kenroy Home Trellis Portable Outdoor Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Possini Euro Design Double Organza Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting