Anyone here have Graves disease

carla17February 12, 2008

Warning. I am not seeking advice. I have discovered there are very strong opinions both ways on annihilation of the thyroid.I am not at that point yet. I found out in Dec. that I have Graves. Would like to hear experiences or stories people have. My eyes are swollen, my hair has thinned terribly. I have had one blood test since I am on Methimazole *sp) and beta blockers. The levels at that time were lower but still too high. I am having blood work and doctor's visit next week.

Thanks,

Carla

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hunter_tx

I don't, but a friend of mine does, and it was diagnosed in her early 30's. She's been on meds for it for about 12 years now with good results.
Mrs H

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 4:07PM
shotzy52

I know the presidents Mom Barbara has it, and Rod Stewart, Oprah did a show on it!

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 7:09PM
liz_h

Is Graves an overactive thyroid? I had it for years before being diagnosed, and stayed on a suppressant medication for a couple of years. After a year or two of normal thyroid, with no medication, it went hyper again. I went back on meds for awhile, then normal thyroid for awhile until it became underactive, where it's been for about 15 years.

Bookmark   February 18, 2008 at 10:21PM
carla17

Thanks everyone. Shotzy, I wish I had seen that show. I'm in limbo right now trying to get levels right, almost impossible.
It is an aggravating disease!

Carla

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 8:22AM
marrin

I have Graves Disease. It was discovered it in '05. I opted for ablation. I was in very bad shape at the time. I could barely walk, lift my arms, my heart was racing constantly, I shook all over. It was bad. The ablation decision was scary, however it was right for me. I needed quick relief. I did swallow nuclear medicine, however symptoms disappeared within weeks. I got some critism from a few people about ablation but my Endo helped me make the decision, and the fact that I was so sick. I am now hypothryroid, which is a trade off, but easier to manage than hyperthyroid. I will take synthroid for the rest of my life. It's an important decision that should not be taken lightly. Investigate your options and good luck finding the one that is right for you.

Bookmark   February 19, 2008 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
spotting after menopause
Hi, 53 1/2 yrs old, started spotting this week. Had...
clyo
Extremely Dry Skin/Cause????
I've had terribly dry skin for several years now. It...
Dancey
Breast Tenderness
Hi Everyone, ANyone out there having continual breast...
tomato44
Aches and Pains- premenopausal
I'm 44 and premenopausal grandma of 3,soon to be 4........
glammato4
Anyone got relief for palpitations?
Hi everyone. I'm 52 and I've been going thru menopause...
grandmapoo
Sponsored Products
Black Granite Bathroom stone Sink 27"x16" - TOJI SHADOW
Living'ROC
Colonial Mills EM59A015X015 Elmwood 15 in. Denim Chair Pad - Set of 4 Multicolor
$43.12 | Hayneedle
36" x 22" Black Granite Apron Stone Kitchen Sink - NORWAY SHADOW
Living'ROC
Silver 'Five Generations' Frame
$14.99 | zulily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Candice Olson Barley 2 ft. 6in. x 8 ft. Runner
Home Depot
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Oyster Gray 9 ft. x 13
Home Depot
Zonix Wet Location Ceiling Fan
Lightology
Sterling 62050115 39.375W x 73.25H in. ADA Swirl Gloss Shower Module - 62050115-
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™