Elderberries

party_music50August 17, 2013

We had a ton of rain from mid-May through early July and I've got tons of elderberries!!! I've already got some frozen, made syrup, made jam, and made jelly. Wish I had the stuff to make wine! lol!

Does anyone have a favorite recipe for elderberries? or know how I can make wine without any special ingredient(s)???!!! I once tried a favorite 'blueberry buckle' (coffee-cake type) and sub'd elderberries for the blueberries... I liked it, but I think that others didn't care for all the seeds. :p

PS: I'll also make an elderberry pie once I get some apples to add to the filling. :)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, Aug 17, 13 at 11:22

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grainlady_ks

Elder is the herb of the year according to the International Herb Association. I read an article in the Wichita Eagle in May about it. There is an elderberry winery near Wichita, Wyldewood Cellers, in Mulvane, KS which sells all kinds of elderberry food items.

You can dehydrate elderberries (115-degrees F) and rehydrate them to use later. The berries dry to a mere speck of their former selves. There is a recipe for elderberry tincture made from dehydrated elderberries I found here: http://www.earthclinic.com/Herbs/elderberry.html -- which is supposed to be "a natural home remedy that is much cheaper than Tamiflu to prevent and cure the flu and the common cold."

ELDERBERRY VINEGAR:
Place 2 cups of stemmed elderberries in an ovenproof dish. Cover with white distilled vinegar and cook in a 300 degrees F oven for 1 1/2 hours, or until the berries burst. Let the mixture stand overnight, then strain.

The link below has a lot of elderberry ideas.... Maybe one will catch your eye.

There is a great line in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where they are taunting the French ..."Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries." If anyone mentions elderberries around our family, we immediately quote this line, and the even funnier preceding and following lines - but I digress :-).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterst - Elderberry/Elderflower/ Elder Bark 2013 Herb of the Year

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 6:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
party_music50

lol! I love that movie. What's your favorite color? red, no blue, no, AAAHHHHHHHH! :O)

Thanks, grainlady, for the laugh and the link/ideas! I will definitely try the elderberry liquor! and the elderberry fudge sounds great too!

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 10:39AM
More Discussions
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Help me speak "mexican"
I have little familiarity with Mexican food...or the...
Annie Deighnaugh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™