latest information from HERS

Leigh_KFebruary 6, 2002

See:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v287n5/rfull/joc10108.html

Hormones may improve quality of life if a woman has menopausal symptoms, but they decrease quality of life in the absence of symptoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v287n5/rfull/joc10108.html

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drrazzle

"In conclusion, estrogen/progestin therapy may have either positive or negative effects on quality of life depending on the presence or absence of postmenopausal symptoms. Women with flushing have improvements in emotional dimensions of quality of life when given hormone therapy, but women without menopausal symptoms have net negative effects on physical dimensions of quality of life."

So interesting to have a scientific study back up the anecdoctal evidence of this forum. Those of us who suffer symptons won't give up their hormones for anything. And those of us (me) who have minor, intermittent, and tolerable menopausal symptons won't touch them.

Bookmark   February 6, 2002 at 10:09AM
Leigh_K

I'm not sure it's true that "[t]hose of us who suffer symptons won't give up
their hormones for anything. And those of us (me) who have minor, intermittent, and tolerable menopausal symptons won't touch them."

I think it's a lot more complex than that. I think that many women with significant symptoms decide it's better to ride out the symptoms and avoid the dangerous drugs. I also know many women who have no symptoms who take the drugs for supposed future benefits - benefits that are increasingly doubtful. It's important to remember that many doctors now advise taking hormones for only 5 years. For 2/3 of women who take hormones, all the symptoms they took them for come back when they are stopped. So they've merely delayed the discomfort by 5 years. In some cases the problems may be worse when they stop than they were originally.

A gyn is quoted in the washington post this morning saying that soon there will be no indications for estrogen use except hot flashes and that the number of prescriptions for these drugs will fall off remarkably.

As we've seen here, hormones don't even work reliably for hot flashes. In many cases even when they do work for hot flashes the side effects are worse than the hot flashes.

Bookmark   February 6, 2002 at 2:23PM
Ratherbgardening

I thought it was interesting that when my mother was taken off estrogen she began to have hot flashes again. It seems that her body is resuming the process that was stopped when she began the estrogen. She was on it for about 3 decades and a PA took her off of it in case it was contributing to her eye hemorhaging. It apparantly was since she hasn't had any more problems since going off of it. It's just too bad someone didn't think of it before she lost some of her eyesight. That eye problem usually in found in diabetics, which she isn't.

Bookmark   February 8, 2002 at 12:21PM
Leigh_K

Ouch. I hope your mother's doctor reported this to the FDA. This recurrence of hot flashes and other discomfort is one of the dirty little secrets a lot of doctors don't bother to tell their patients about. Many also fail to tell their patients that any bone benefit ceases when the drugs are stopped and that after 2 years any evidence of any bone benefit has disappeared.

Bookmark   February 8, 2002 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
Very long menstrual period
Hello, I've been worrying for the past few days, can't...
Mtn_Girl
Aches and Pains- premenopausal
I'm 44 and premenopausal grandma of 3,soon to be 4........
glammato4
dental woes and menopause
After reading some of the posts here, I feel I can...
janeinspace
Weird Adrenalin Rushes
I'm brand new to this wonderful forum, and wondering...
Robbie_WY
Sponsored Products
Mambo Clear Glass Top Dining Table
Zuri Furniture
Duncan Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Phoenix TV Table
$649.99 | Dot & Bo
Homelegance Galva 5 Drawer Chest in Glossy White
Beyond Stores
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave Red Castango Thick Weave Ou
Home Depot
MUD 4PC Setting - Style 3 - MUD Australia
$162.00 | HORNE
Carrera Grande Oil Rubbed Bronze 54-Inch Ceiling Fan with Dark Mahogany Blades
$378.00 | Bellacor
Breitling Full-size Bed
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™