Stopping HRT

MardaJanuary 18, 2003

I have a question for those of you were on HRT and quit. I took them for 10 years and stopped cold turkey with no problems. A friend of mine did the same thing and is having really bad hot flashes. My question is this. I know you can get off hormones by just tapering off and often times this reduces the severity of hot flashes but for those of you who did it this way...did you just take fewer hormones,or did you have to get a perscription for a weaker dosage and do it that way. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Silverdove

I tapered off by taking it every 36 hours for a while, then every 48 hours for a while, then stopped. It's been six months now, and I do get hot flashes, mainly at night.

Bookmark   January 21, 2003 at 3:15PM
Silverdove

A follow up here. I stopped HRT in July 2002. No more bleeding or spotting until now. Last week my breasts were sore. This week I have my period!
WAAAH! I'm almost 57--when will this stop?

Bookmark   March 20, 2003 at 4:17PM
Jonesy

I went to a weaker dose for a couple of months then quit. I went through mild menapause symptons, no big deal. I only took hormones to help with transition from a hysterectomy to menapause.

Bookmark   May 19, 2003 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Relevant, funny essay about this mid-life nightmare
https://medium.com/@zabado11/open-letter-to-women-4509c2f65c1d...
zabado
severe vaginal atrophy
I hope someone can give me some good advice. I have...
coco2008
help me interpret the FSH numbers?
i just received my FSH results back (and though i realize...
llmoyer123
Over active Libido..
I have heard of losing your sex drive during menapause,...
vicki_Indiana
premenstrual nausea when perimenopausal?
Well, I've gone from having no PMS symptoms at all,...
tanama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™