don't ya hate when that happens?

lindacAugust 20, 2012

Made peach jam last evening...

For some reason I thought I had used the recipe in the certo box....so I mindlessly read it....began peeling and chopping the fruit...one eye on the TV....came to add the sugar.....and thought holy cow! that's a lot of sugar....added the sugar and juice of a lemon....thought I didn't remember doing that before.... and as I am stirring...I am remembering that 2 years ago I made a batch that I over cooked and it got a bit of a caramel taste....this called for only cooking a minute?

So when I got it into the jars, it's jars half full of fruit and the other half is peach flavored syrup....

GAAH!

That wasn't the recipe I meant to use!

So....this morning I rushed out and bought more peaches (and jar lids!) and will try to figure out what recipe I used 2 years ago......and what to do with 9 jars of peach flavored syrup.....might make a good base for a sweet and sour mustardy hot sauce for pork or chicken....what do you think?

Linda C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wizardnm

I have been making it with Sure Jell for years but this year tried the Ball Pectin that comes in a container. On the Ball website they give you amounts for different sized batches, nice. I think I get a better fresh fruit flavor than if I used a longer cooked jam method.

I'd use the stuff your not thrilled with as a base for sweet and sour sauce, there are other savory ideas that I know you'll think of. Brush some on pork chops or pork tenderloin... use as a glaze.... on quick bread or muffins... try making a salad dressing... pancakes or French toast...

Nancy

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 11:14AM
nancedar

I'd puree it and call it Peachy Keen Syrup then use it to make Bellini's or to put between layers of sponge cake for jelly roll (then covered in whipped cream of course).

Nancy

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 11:47AM
lindac

It won't go to waste....maybe waist....but not waste!!
Love the idea of the sponge cake....and I already was planning on it as a meat glaze....

For this next batch maybe I better read the sure jell recipe!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 12:01PM
donna_in_sask

I have a recipe for oven bbq'd ribs that uses the syrup from a can of peaches...it would probably work well in that application.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 2:40PM
ruthanna_gw

Could you add some more water, boil it, and then pur�e and freeze it to make some peach Italian water ice?

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Nancy/wizardnm
A little bird just told me that today is your birthday,...
annie1992
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
How to make Crown Roast?
DH has invited 5 coworkers and their spouses to dinner...
dancingqueengw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™