Fireplace heat shields - replacements?

drpaddleDecember 31, 2012

I have a 1989 Fuqua triplewide manufactured home. The built-in fireplace uses an unusual kind of heat shielding in the firebox. Between the log rack and the walls of the enclosure are three panels, about 1/2" thick and 18" on each side, made of wire-reinforced concrete with a faux brick pattern. These apparently serve to shield the fireplace box from the fire's radiant heat. The panels are falling apart now. Would somebody suggest a source for replacements, please? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyyg

It sounds very much like cement board, aka wonder board or durock. It's usually used as an underlayment for tile floors, but it's not limited to that. I think a layer of cement board, covered with some kind of fireproof tile or brick veneer might be your answer. Ask a contractor or building inspector, or go to a local fireplace shop and pick their brains. Also, be aware that the building code restrictions on fireplaces in mobile homes tend to be stricter than the ones for stick-built homes.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 10:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I'm sure the fireplace is a prefab unit and they are rated for manufactured homes. See if you can find the brand of the unit and go online to find their website and see if they have replacement parts.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 7:21AM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™