What if the measurement is off?

Roberta_z5December 25, 2005

We just had our three part modular home set on the basement foundation last week. Our temperatures were in the single digits and we really felt sorry for the guys that were doing the work, but they didn't seem to mind at all. All went well until a few days later when they brought the third section down from Wisconsin. They hoisted it up with the crane and it is off by an inch.

They cut pieces off to make it fit, but inside you can still see that it is off. The finishing crew will be here on Tuesday to - well - finish. They expect it to take 3/4 days to complete everything. The crane is no longer here, so I don't know how they plan to either move it into place or hide the flaw. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me if they just hide it since it is structurally sound and sitting on the sill plate.

I have to imagine this happens pretty regularly on the larger houses. Am I right? We built the walk-out basement ourselves with ICF's and measured and re-measured. When they came out to check it for accuracy, it seemed fine with them also. I guess it wasn't exact enough though.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Roberta_z5

They jacked the addition up and moved it in place. Everything is absolutely perfect except that now everything is done and I am so anxious to move all of our stuff in. (My husband still has to hook up the propane and plumbing, but that won't take more than a couple of days.) It has been in the 40's and the house is totally surrounded by soft mud!!! We can't have the side where the crane sat backfilled (8' of fill dirt) until the weather allows and that is where two of the entry doors are.

Hopefully the ground will freeze again in the next week and we can get our things moved in. Happy New Year all!

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 6:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blue_jean_baby

Glad to hear it all worked out. You'll be moved in with plenty of time to plan your gardens/landscaping! ( My seed catalogs have started arriving, so yours must be too.)

Dawn

Bookmark   December 31, 2005 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
manufactured homes info
Hello. I am in need of information on manufactured...
pambowen5450
price over factory invoice in Calif.
Any info on approximate price should pay over the factory...
peggy1595
Selling Older Manufactured Home/Financing
Hello everybody, I am new here. Been reading alot....
knappyvw
Good or bad brands Manufactured homes
I am near the point of purchasing a manufactured home...
jackofalltrades_1956
Sponsored Products
Zahra Hand Woven Red Wool Rug (5'0 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Braided Accent Rug: Jefferson Copper 2' x 4'
$59.97 | Home Depot
Marquis Lighting Chandeliers 15-Light Ceiling English Bronze Incandescent
Home Depot
Linnette Rug 4' x 6' - SMOKE
$599.00 | Horchow
Sonneman | Treluci Piccolo Floor Lamp
YLighting
Justice Design Group GLA-8705 - Aero 1 Light Wall Sconce (No Arms) - Cylinder wi
$198.00 | Hayneedle
Multicolored I
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Smart White - Satin Turquoise Ovo Lamp with Color Finial
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™