Type of heating source

ddd_fredericksDecember 5, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son wants to get a new manufactured home with about 1800 to 2000 sq ft. What would you suggest for heating?

They will install electric baseboard heat, or an air heat pump. He could install an Earth furnace, a pellet stove.

Electricity is about 10 cents per kwhr. Propane is about $1.75 per gallon. Pellets about $150 per ton.

He does not want anything to do with fire wood.

We live in NW Oregon.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

The air heat pump is very likely to be much lower in operating cost than baseboard electric. The heat pump will cost more to install initially, but also will provide air conditioning for the warmer season.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 9:54AM
Roberta_z5

My husband put radiant heat in the floor of the basement under the main floor. The water is heated with propane going through the tankless water heater. It is a very inexpensive form of heat and also a very clean form since there is no moving air.

Our modular home came with a regular propane furnace that we used until we got the tubing put under the main floor and operating. Our modular was just set in January so things are taking more time than we thought. We put the radiant heat in the coach house (apt. with garage under it.) which we built ourselves. (We lived in that while we were building the basement for the modular to sit on.) We were very happy with the heating even in the coldest weather.

I don't know where you are located, but a heat pump is not real reliable in northern climates.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 10:05AM
christopherh

I have a friend that has a heat pump. And while he likes it I found it to be "cold". He told ne that when he wants the home to be 70 degrees, the air coming out of the vents is 70 degrees. I'm used to HEAT coming out of the vents at 120 degrees and shutting off when the room reaches the selected temp.
Have the newer heat pumps changed any?

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 7:29AM
Roberta_z5

When we lived in the Chicago area, we had a three story townhouse with a heat pump. When the outdoor temps reached the teens or lower, our heat wouldn't go above 55 degrees.

That was fine for overnight but not at all acceptable during the day. We had electric space heaters all over the place!

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 9:42AM
bus_driver

Systems must be properly designed and installed for satisfactory results. The Chicago system did not meet those criteria.

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 7:46AM
More Discussions
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™