adding rooms to a manufactured home

dudleythunder79December 29, 2008

My wife and I purchased a 1985 manufactured home in 1991. The house, for many reasons looks much like a doublewide, which I guess is what it actually is. What I would like to do is to add two rooms to the house. One in the front and one in the back, but I don't want the slant roof. I was wanting to go more with the "A" shape design to both rooms to help give the house a different look. Has anyone done anything like this and if so could you provide some photos for ideas? I've talked with a few contractors and they say it can be done, and I know how I would like to have it made, but I was hoping I could see some actual designs. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronbre

we added a front enclosed porch to our home and we put a regular peaked roof on it..dark outside or i would snap you a photo right now..but it is a pitched roof side to side so that it forms a triangle when you look straight on and our home had a long front peaked on the ends like a ranch home..it worked out very well, as soon as i'm able to get a photo and remember to do so i'll post it onto this site for you..it totally changes the LOOK of the house so it looks less like a manufactured home and more like a stick built house..we even found siding and roofing to match..ask the mfg for the info on that

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 7:59PM
aikanae

Most states have a agency that needs to approve structural changes to mh. It helps if you have the engineering plans showing shear walls and such. I know here (AZ) they require engineering studies before major changes can be done. It ends up preventing people from doing extensive remolding of homes - putting 2 single wides together, etc. This really depends on your area. The city I live in does not have a reciprocal agreement with the state so they don't want to approve building permits on mh. This is very dependent on your area and I doubt if most areas are that strict.

Save yourself some time and find out what the codes are.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 7:53AM
ronbre

now that i have the site avail here is the front porch we added to our home..

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 1:05PM
desertsteph

that is a lovely little porch added on - it really makes such a big diffence! and with all the plants around it does look like a stick built.

i'm going to save the pic to show my bf when i start wanting a porch - lol! that'll be AFTER I actually get the home set up here - maybe this next month that'll be done. by next spring i'll be wanting that porch!

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
price over factory invoice in Calif.
Any info on approximate price should pay over the factory...
peggy1595
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™