What will protect painted cabinets??

citymomof3January 3, 2008

I painted all my cabinets (kitchen & both bathrooms) almost three years ago when we moved in. The white ones in the kitchen have worn pretty well, but are starting to need another coat of white paint. Can I seal them with something this time to protect them a little more???

Thanks in advance!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladynimue

Use an enamel or oil based paint and you should be fine.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 4:07PM
Patricia43

There is a clear sealer for them that is probably oil-based that I used but I cannot remember. I do so much stuff, it is hard to recall but ask at your paint store and if you used oil paint, tell them. If you used latex, also tell them that as you will need to have two surfaces that can bond to each other.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 4:14PM
teedup1

Might also ask the experts at the Paint Forum here at GWeb.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 7:06PM
sweets98

You can paint over them with any type of sealer like a poly or shellac or varnish. That will protect them.

I'm curious....did you prime before you painted and what type of paint did you use? We have the cheapy faux wood cabinets and I painted those four years ago this week. I primed and then painted with three coats of semi-gloss from Wal-Mart. They aren't peeling or scratching at all. I painted the bathroom vanity and laundry cabinets in the same way and they're fine, too.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 11:16PM
citymomof3

Thanks, guys! I sanded the cabinets and wiped them down first. Then I used a special primer the man at SW recommended for painting cabinets. The paint I used is a Semi Gloss latex I believe also from SW in white. I did two coats, maybe three. They don't look too bad. Only a couple of places where I can see some wear. Mainly the cabs in front of the sink.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Open Floor Plans: Will The Pendulum Eventually Swing The Other Way?
What do you think? Yes, I realize that there are many...
Lynn
shutters vs wood blinds to keep the light and view outside
Hi everyone! So I have a dilemma, I currently have...
ruthy3
Width of light over vanity?
I am doing a budget renovation of the hall/company...
Susan Taylor Brown
Carpet only in the closet?
Would you carpet a closet when you've got hardwood...
amberm145
F&B to BM color closest matches
If F&B is not near you but BM is....
the_foxes_pad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™