wallpaper over ?

nanaofiveOctober 8, 2006

We live in a 1997 Liberty manufactured home and I would like to wallpaper my kitchen and laundry room. Whatever is on the walls now is white, very slightly textured board with narrow strips, probably covering seams. I have never wallpapered before but have been doing some reading about it. Some suggest a liner that is put up horizontally, then papered. Anyone have any experience or advice ? TIA. Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaacka

I am betting you would have to prime the wall first to get the glue to stick. I haven't tried wallpapering before, but I know to get the paint to stick to the vinyl, I had to prime first (with Kilz). Are you going to paper right over the seams, too?

Bookmark   October 27, 2006 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsindir

I have experimented with various techniques and two I have found seem to work best when dealing with the vinyl coated walls.

For either method you need to remove the strips and putty the seams and sand them smooth.

Method 1

Using a medium to coarse sand paper on a sander go over the walls. the idea is to score the vinyl. After you finish take a damp cloth (not wet) and wipe the dust off the walls. Then paint with Kilz (or other heavy duty white primer) Then paper as you would any wall.

Method 2

This is less intensive but more expensive. Even though the paper is likley prepasted I use a wall paper paste. Not just any paste but that which is for marine or wet area use. It is about twice as expensive as regular paste but well worth it and I use elmers glue all as a seam sealer; it will dry clear. I do not wet the paper unless the paste is very thick (I have come across two types, one is the consistancy of school paste and though it looked fine I hated working with it and ruined the first couple sheets cause I had wet them)

Anyway, hope this helps some.

D

Bookmark   November 9, 2006 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Considering an older (1972) mobile home - what do I need to know?
Hi all, I'm just beginning to look for a nice little...
cmayomh
Regular furnace in MH?
Can you put a regular furnace in a MH? Is it primarily...
cathyyg
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
Modular Homes VS mobile home
Please dont confuse Modular and mobile home. They are...
Minxie
Looking for advice, might be buying manufactured/modular
Hi! My husband and I will be looking at this house...
Turner58800
Sponsored Products
WallsNeedLove African Animals Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP25-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Bogata Outdoor Rug
Grandin Road
Kartell | Comback Chair, Swivel Base
$790.00 | YLighting
Brewster Brown Berry Vine Wallpaper
Overstock.com
WallsNeedLove Impossible Labyrinth Self-Adhesive Wallpaper - WP94-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle