Yes you can paint those vinyl walls

tammyjkOctober 6, 2012

I searched so many times to get tips on painting the vinyl covered walls that I gave up and did it. Its been almost a year now and no issues so I thought I would post here for those who have the same fears.

For the bathroom walls (slick surface, no texture) I used a good oil base primer. I also used an oil base paint. I have had not peeling issues what so ever.

For the textured vinyl I used regular Walmart primer and Walmart paint. No issues at all!

Kitchen, regular primer and semi gloss paint from Walmart.

For the ceiling, I got rather tired of primer and just used ceiling paint. No issues.

I will say that we smoke, and all walls were thoroughly cleaned with plain dish-soap and water. I would do this even without the smoking.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handygirlmi

I agree with the title, they can be painted, and so easily!
I found I could cover up the sheen differences in the vinyl on my walls with 2 coats of primer, I used Gripper or Olympic No-Voc...
For paint I went with Sherwin Williams when it was on sale to about $30 a gallon, eggshell for bedrooms/hallways, will use semi-gloss in baths/laundry/kitchen.

I love the Behr paint and primer in one ceiling paint, I tried Kilz ceiling paint (which said it was bright white but looked almost grey) the Behr cover great on the ceiling and doesn't splatter.

I cleaned my walls too, nothing big, just some vinegar and water.

Congrats on the walls! I hope more people see how easy it is to add character to a manufactured house with little things like paint and trim.

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™