Need Inspiration - Rainy Day Dinner

amck2August 23, 2010

I have a boatload of chores to do on this rainy day, but I still have to put dinner on the table.

Anyone have ideas for a not-too-time-consuming, not too rich (it's Monday...)yet soul satisfying dinner. In winter time this would be a "chowder day" but it's still too warm for that. Thanks -

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
becky_ca

I'd vote for chili in the crockpot. On busy days I like to make it around lunch time and put it on low to cook for the afernoon. While you make the chili you can also get the dry ingredients ready for cornbread to bake later so it's warm when you sit down :-)

Becky

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:12AM
mboston_gw

Rainy days are breakfast food days for us - omellets or waffles or both!

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:52AM
johnliu_gw

Is it a warm rainy day or a cool rainy day?

If the former, like soft summer rain with fireflies and distant thunder, then I'm thinking summer salad, plenty of fresh tomatoes, and a bit of pasta with pesto. With chilled white wine. Served on a cafe table in the greenhouse, amid the scent of damp earth, or on the porch with candles and fireflies.

If the latter, like chilly gusty gimme-shelter weather, then a simple beef stew with roast potatoes would take 20 min of actual work and fill the house with cozy scents. Use your very simplest recipe, accompany with a red wine, not a fine bottle but a sturdy table wine of ouvriers and paysans, poured into thick glass tumblers on a bare wooden table near the hearth.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 11:10AM
rachelellen

Got sauce?

A nice sauce Bolognese, spooned over polenta, served with chunky mixed veggies quick sauteed with fresh herbs & garlic. A green salad to start if you're feeling a bit more ambitious.

I like dishes reminiscent of Winter on rainy days, even if it's warm, but not as "rib-sticking."

A nice pan seared steak, served with caramelized onions and sauteed peppers, whole new potatoes tossed with fresh herbs & corn on the cob? All easy, but tasty with a hearty feel.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 11:39AM
chase_gw

Rainy here too , meatloaf with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans or Shepherd's Pie is sounding good to me.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 11:46AM
amck2

Thank you for the suggestions. Headed to the grocery store, and haven't decided yet, but the above posts have nudged me out of my cooking funk.

We had grilled chicken twice over the weekend - totally different meals, but knew I didn't want chicken today yet couldn't think of much else that didn't feel too heavy.

It's not that cold - mid 60's - but it's more raw than that soft summer rain feeling. It's definitely an eat-in dinner day.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
As Seen on Food Fortunes -- Can you measure flour?
Have you seen this show? Shark Tank for the comestibles...
plllog
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Pet Peeve
Over at the Kitchen Table, there is a Pet Peeve thread....
donna_loomis
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Leftover Biscuits
I made a Mother's Day lunch that was wonderful (if...
starlightfarm
Sponsored Products
Sago Palm Bread Plate
$130.00 | Horchow
Max Coax Pendant by LBL Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens
Eglo Gino 6 3/4" High Satin Nickel Spot Light
$64.91 | Lamps Plus
Square Space Shelving Unit
$59.99 | Dot & Bo
Stilo Satin Nickel Three-Light Incandescent 120v Mini Pendant with Light Bar Can
$634.50 | Bellacor
Safavieh Adirondack Ivory/ Silver Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
AJ Floor Lamp in Grey
ModernistLighting.com
Alfresco Home Lista Swivel Cast Aluminum Dining Chair - Set of 2 Multicolor - 22
$849.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™