Painting popcorn-like ceilings

GolfergurlOctober 16, 2011

Hi everyone,

Found this forum last week and love it. I'm closing on my 1560 sf. DW on Tuesday! I have lots of ideas of things I want to do (really appreciated all the talk about filling in the gaps after the batting strips are removed).

The ceiling of my new place is like a popcorn texture. Yuck! (IMO) Any ideas on changing (i.e. putting up new ceilings?) or painting on this type of texture? Thanks everyone.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyyg

Ask the experts about whether the ceiling cam be replaced. I do know they make special extra-fluffy rollers for painting textured ceilings.

Bookmark   October 20, 2011 at 8:14PM
brnincalif

I bought a foreclosure that needed the entire ceilings repainted. They were an awful grey throughout the entire interior. I bought the most expensive ceiling paint I could find and the highest nap roller, and repainted ALL of my ceilings. It was very time consuming but well worth the effort! Through trial and error I learned a technique so that the popcorn would not pull off with the paint. People will say to redo the ceilings but I think a fresh coat of paint did it for me. I am on a budget and do not believe in overremodling so that I will have more $ into the place than it will ever be worth.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 8:32AM
fifthzim

When repainting "popcorn ceilings", be sure to only go over the areas once with the wet roller. The texture seems to soak up paint quickly, then will come off the ceiling when you roll over it again. Practice in the closets first!!

An alternative that I've decided I like MUCH better is to take a wide putty knife and scrape the bulk of the texture off of the ceiling before painting. This will leave a texture similar to that of what is often used on walls. I then painted over this with a semigloss latex paint so I could wash the ceilings as well as the walls.

Bookmark   October 27, 2011 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
Considering an older (1972) mobile home - what do I need to know?
Hi all, I'm just beginning to look for a nice little...
cmayomh
Regular furnace in MH?
Can you put a regular furnace in a MH? Is it primarily...
cathyyg
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
Sponsored Products
Bover | Urban 01 Pendant Light
$921.00 | YLighting
Quoizel Voyager 28" Wide Malaga Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Zaneen | Dau Spot 4 Light Square Ceiling Light
YLighting
Dragonfly Head by Tech Lighting
$128.00 | Lumens
Cobble Brown Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus