home style definitions

mc_huddOctober 2, 2008

There's been some discussion on here previously about what the definitions of mobile, manufactured, and moduler homes were... Well, I found this on a site & thought I'd share:

Manufactured Home: Built entirely in the factory under federal code administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), which went into effect June 15, 1976, has been upgraded numerous times. Covers single- or multi-section homes and includes transport to the site and installation. Regulations include: design & construction, strength & durability, transportability, fire resistance, energy efficiency & quality.

Mobile Home: The term mobile home used for homes built prior to June 15, 1976, when HUD code went into effect. Voluntary standards were previously in effect.

Modular Home: Built to state, local or regional code where home will be located. Multi-section units are transported to sites and installed. Modular sections are designed to be removed from the steel frame (also known as carrier) and placed onto a permanent foundation by a crane.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coolvt

Those are some of the better definitions that I have heard. They pretty clearly and simply explain the differences. One this is obvious...on a modular home the "required" construction will vary depending upon where it will be placed. The requirements from place to place can vary quite a bit. In fact there are still many small communities that have no local code and do not enforce any state or national codes.

Bookmark   October 9, 2008 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
What is the Cadillac of MH manfs.?
What brands are top of the line in mobile homes. We...
goldenbuckeye
It is hard to find senior mobile home parks
When I check on Senior Mobile home parks most of have...
tropical_thought
price over factory invoice in Calif.
Any info on approximate price should pay over the factory...
peggy1595
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™