New Carpet or Laminate?

nwroseladyOctober 20, 2012

I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet throughout. The previous owner had the carpet cleaned but it had some stains so I got a carpet allowance. I would prefer either wood or laminate flooring, but I put laminate into a previous house I owned and my feet froze all winter. What should I do? Do those of you with laminate have this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantoretire_did

See if you have any insulation underneath your floor. Even with insulation, laminate will be colder than carpeting. We had stained beige carpeting replaced with laminate and love it, but I do wear fuzzy slippers :-)

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 4:30AM
Dave_Charyl

Hate wood/laminate floors for that reason. I want to be warm. No need for fuzzy slippers if you have carpet.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 2:24AM
sunnie62

I have laminate flooring thru out and love it. Yes it goes get a bit chilly in the winter, but I wear fuzzy slippers also. I never go barefooted anyway. Always something on my feet.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 7:33PM
ClassicD

Oh my goodness! If I could rip out my carpet and get laminate or hard wood, I would in a heart beat. The carpet just kicks up so much dust. I just think it makes the room look so much bigger, brighter and cleaner. Just my opinion. One day.......

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:32PM
danandcarol

Just throwing this out there for one other option. We have both 3/4" hardwood and laminate in our home, and while I love the hardwood, I'm just not a big fan of laminate. Recently purchased a mobile home in a tourist area for a little getaway and we put vinyl strip flooring down in it (we got Luxury Vinyl Plank in cherry from Lowe's). I absolutely love it and would not hesitate to put it in my other house except we're already through with those floors. It was extremely easy to put down (I'm a 60+ grandmother and did it myself), cuts with kitchen shears, and looks just like wood ... also little to no waste because you begin the next row with whatever you cut off the last row. Easy on the budget too, at a little over $1 per square foot. We also used Henry's primer (from Home Depot), and had no problems with it adhering to plywood.

This post was edited by danandcarol on Wed, Sep 17, 14 at 19:32

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 7:28PM
Guy954

Wood laminate is better. I always wear slippers indoors so the cold would not bother me, plus I'm in Florida and we don't get too cold down here, and many apartments have tile floors which do get cold.

Wood laminate is a better investment, and last longer and have better resale value, and won't stain like a carpet can. Plus if the new buyer has a pet, carpets are the worst.

Bookmark   October 13, 2014 at 9:44PM
frankie46

the stuff at Costco [hard wood laminate] with the insulation on the bottom is on sale alot this time of the year . i put it in 2 years ago after ripping up old carpet . 3 dogs and cat 3 adults and 2 baby's , it looks good yet .it is amazing how much dirt we can track in a day.needs sweeping every day with all the in and out

Bookmark   December 24, 2014 at 2:54PM
gardenbug

I have a near new manufactured home. It has carpet in the living room and linoleum throughout the rest of the house. I am replacing all that with 'engineered' hardwood. Laminate flooring will lift or buckle if it gets wet. I would NEVER use laminate flooring for that reason.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 8:46PM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Moving an old Windsor (70's) single wide SAFE?
A friend of mine has a 1970 ish Windsor 14X 70 or 12...
poaky1
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™