Aquariums in Mobiles?

ANmiTSeptember 8, 2011

I have a fairly newer home it's a 2003 fleetwood doublewide. I am trying to find out if it's safe to put in a 120 gallon aquarium. From what I can tell is a 120gal with water, rocks, fish, decorations will be anywhere from 1000lbs-1500lbs (depending on amount of rocks etc). I do have a california king waterbed in the master which what I can tell holds approx 250gallons and weighs about a ton. It has a larger footprint though to help with the weight but I have never had any issues with it. I would think the tank would be fine but want to make sure before I commit to getting it.

I have looked & found a few posts on other sites regarding this but it pertains to older homes. They recommend bracing the beams under the house with blocks, jacks etc & then placing a 3/4" piece of plywood under the stand of the tank to help distrubite weight.

I would think the newer homes are made sturdier than the older ones so just curious if I should still consider doing what is suggested for the older homes? I am thinking of putting it in the living room on a interior wall going across the house. It will be located on only one half though.

Thank you for your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Bad idea, really bad idea.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 5:42PM
pmiker

I would start by seeing if you can contact Fleetwood. They would know how the floor is made. I've had some small footprint items like china cabinets but they're lighter than a big aquarium. I have had a 55 gallon one without any problem. And that was in an older home from around 1980.
Mike

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 6:15PM
beth1954

I don't know how much a waterbed weighs, but I had a waterbed in my old Fleetwood for a long time with no incidents!!!

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
Sponsored Products
Prado Mobile Laminate File Cabinet with Metal Drawer Pulls and Hidden Box Drawer
Overstock.com
Adir Mobile Wood Roll File with 50 Compartments - 626
$182.99 | Hayneedle
Jesper Office | 100 Collection Managers Desk
YLiving.com
Worlds Away - Palm Bar Cart Green - PALM GR
Great Furniture Deal
Liberty Furniture Hearthstone Desk in Rustic Oak Finish
Beyond Stores
"Casilla" Planter
$495.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for: