Aquariums in Mobiles?

ANmiTSeptember 8, 2011

I have a fairly newer home it's a 2003 fleetwood doublewide. I am trying to find out if it's safe to put in a 120 gallon aquarium. From what I can tell is a 120gal with water, rocks, fish, decorations will be anywhere from 1000lbs-1500lbs (depending on amount of rocks etc). I do have a california king waterbed in the master which what I can tell holds approx 250gallons and weighs about a ton. It has a larger footprint though to help with the weight but I have never had any issues with it. I would think the tank would be fine but want to make sure before I commit to getting it.

I have looked & found a few posts on other sites regarding this but it pertains to older homes. They recommend bracing the beams under the house with blocks, jacks etc & then placing a 3/4" piece of plywood under the stand of the tank to help distrubite weight.

I would think the newer homes are made sturdier than the older ones so just curious if I should still consider doing what is suggested for the older homes? I am thinking of putting it in the living room on a interior wall going across the house. It will be located on only one half though.

Thank you for your time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Bad idea, really bad idea.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 5:42PM
pmiker

I would start by seeing if you can contact Fleetwood. They would know how the floor is made. I've had some small footprint items like china cabinets but they're lighter than a big aquarium. I have had a 55 gallon one without any problem. And that was in an older home from around 1980.
Mike

Bookmark   September 17, 2011 at 6:15PM
beth1954

I don't know how much a waterbed weighs, but I had a waterbed in my old Fleetwood for a long time with no incidents!!!

Bookmark   September 22, 2011 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Regular furnace in MH?
Can you put a regular furnace in a MH? Is it primarily...
cathyyg
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
Marlett 1997
I have a Marlett as a rental in Idaho. I haven't had...
cocolallakids
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™