Before I use My New Fireplace?

newmobileownerSeptember 23, 2006

Hi! everyone, I just wanted to ask if there are any do's and don'ts on using my fireplace for the first time. I've had a large fireplace in the house I rented before buying my mobilehome so I have knowledge of how to start a fire and all that,but this fireplace is smaller and I just don't want to do anything wrong. It's a wood burning fireplace. Brick from floor to ceiling. Glass doors and mesh screen. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

It sounds like you have a "zero clearance" fireplace. These are not meant to be a main source of heat like a masonry unit. But they are very good and will give off enough heat to make you comfortable.

When firing it up for the first time I would build a small hot fire and inspect as much of the unit both inside and out side as you can. Look for smoke coming from places it shouldn't. This is just a check to make sure everything is assembled as it should be. If all is OK... enjoy!

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 7:34AM
newmobileowner

Thank you for that advice. I will enjoy it.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 8:42AM
jonathon77

I would be sure to get a good updraft going first and be sure to burn a couple chimney sweeping logs in it every season to prevent creosote buildup. I use my fireplace constantly in the winter. Your going to feed it wood constantly. Owe and don't use those wax logs from Wal-Mart they make a ton of ash.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 1:33AM
More Discussions
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Considering an older (1972) mobile home - what do I need to know?
Hi all, I'm just beginning to look for a nice little...
cmayomh
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™