Replacing carpet with hardwood or tile flooring

kat80August 10, 2013

We are ready to rip up this carpet in our mobile home can we replace it with tile or hardwood? Someone told me tile was to heavy for a mobile home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sheri_C

When I was removing the carpet from my MH and looking for some alternatives, I was told by someone at Lowe's that if I wanted to use tile, the floor supports would need to be reinforced before it could be installed. I don't know if this was true, but I steered clear of the heavier materials. I don't think hardwood or wood laminate would be too heavy though.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 8:23AM
chrissyb2411

We replaced carpeting in 2 rooms with bamboo flooring, and no issues. I don't recall my husband needing to do anything special, and the bamboo plans are very similar to laminate flooring.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 10:48AM
sharon_pa

I believe as long as the subflooring is solid and LEVEL you can do the laminate flooring or tile if someone checks under the home to see it's condition & add any extra support beams., if you are installing real heavy stone tiling. Over time the homes settle so it's always good to have that checked every 5-6 years. We had ours done the 2nd year we bought ours and it really needed re-leveling 7 years later, just before I sold it.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 8:43PM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Moving an old Windsor (70's) single wide SAFE?
A friend of mine has a 1970 ish Windsor 14X 70 or 12...
poaky1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™