Tell me your alternative home dreams...

zandraAugust 29, 2006

I know you're here, thinking about what I'm thinking about too. My story very briefly encapsulated: I own a small house on which I still owe about 1/6 of the current value. the value of my home has boomed in the thirteen years I've been here and I've despised the neighborhood, the upkeep; which is of course getting worse, and the memories associated with the place. I've always been interested in alternative housing, the stranger, cheaper and eco-friendly the better (my favorite home of all time is Forestiere's Underground Gardens near Fresno Ca) -but anyway, I've been looking at sheet metal buildings (I really dig the domed top kind) and of course mobile homes. Needless to say I intend to downsize the value of my future home itself but would like a nice quiet lot on high ground away from the ocean, and I have to research zones and codes and whatnot, but I'm planning to sell and move in about 3 years. Anybody have experience or dreams about sheet metal, yurts, cinderblock cabins, converted garages/workshops, really small 1 bdrm cottages, trailers, etc? what's it like to live in one? -it's okay if your opinions about it are negative, I gotta start my research somewhere so I'll be ready. Thanks, -Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klimkm

Pick up the most recent copy of "mother earth news" they have a whole issue devoted to alternative construction. i.e. geodesic domes, earth homes, straw bale construction, etc. Right up your alley.

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
It is hard to find senior mobile home parks
When I check on Senior Mobile home parks most of have...
tropical_thought
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™