Modular home additions

bfarmAugust 22, 2009

We are in the process of purchasing a modular home, but would like to add a garage w/ bonus room and maybe a sunroom also. the home already has a huge front porch. We are interested in ideas in changing the pitch of the roof also. Basically, we don't want the house to look so much like a manufactured home. Please provide suggestions and pictures if possible.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

One nice thing about modulars is you can do just about anything you want.
You can have any pitch you want. You can add the garage on site and do any kind of addition you wish. Once the house is complete you can be sure the house will not be able to be seen as a moduler. Mine has a split roof which means the center part of the roof is raised and I have a covered front porch on my ranch.

Just up the road is a new cape. They added a garage and a bonus room above it too. The house is built by the manufacturer. The garage and bonus room are built by the dealer or contractor on site.

In the next town is a colonial modular that looks just like the other homes in the area. And the "other" homes were built in the late 1700s. Complete with hip roofs and porticos. And if you drove by, you couldn't tell which one is the modular.

Long gone are the two box modulars that look like manufactured homes.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 8:41AM
kenmax

check with your insurance! We were told by State Farm & Allstate our policy would be void if we did any changes to the outside. Roof line, brick, additions etc. We are very upset about this. We also bought a new one and were told by the dealer it would be like insuring a house instead of a mobile home. In Tennesse that is not the case. it is the same as a mobile home.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:01AM
christopherh

A modular is different than a manufactured home. A modular is as you say, a "house" and not a mobile home. It's permanent, not meant to be moved as there's no frame underneath. So all additions would also be permanent. Just like a regular house.

So of course you would have to have different insurance.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 7:59AM
More Discussions
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
What is the Cadillac of MH manfs.?
What brands are top of the line in mobile homes. We...
goldenbuckeye
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™