vinyl covered section of wall falling apart!!

beth1954August 30, 2012

I have one section of wall that is just kind of well....disintegrating. Several years ago I had two male cats that sprayed on that wall alot. It's right next to the cat pan. I have female cats now, and I have never seen them do anything outside of the pan. It is a typical mobile home wall, some kind of "sheet rock" covered in vinyl. I painted all the walls in my bedroom years ago, and have had no problems anywhere else. I don't think I can do this alone (I have no tools except for a hammer, screwdrivers, etc).....I am guessing that I have to take off the trim, pull the wall off, and replace it with a new piece of this sheeting--whatever it is called. Is this complicated? If I could get someone to cut it to fit for me, would it be difficult?? Thanks, Beth

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deb_pa

Some walls in mobile homes are put in with long staples. Once you get an edge loose it should be easy to put it off the rest of the way. That's the good news. The bad is, sometimes the molding trim pieces break up when you take them off even if you are careful doing it. Take a piece of the wall with you to a big lumber company and they will help you find the right thickness you need, it may not be the same material the orginal was though. Also take the measurements with you and they will probably cut it for you. Buy paneling nails to nail it in.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 10:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handygirlmi

You're right, you're most likely going to need to replace that. You don't need to wrack your brain trying to find a matching sheet of vinyl wallboard, I matched the thickness of my wallboard to 3/8'' drywall, which you can get anywhere. It's not complicated to do, but it helps to have a 2nd person and do a little research first about hanging drywall so you're not completely in the dark. Taking the wall panel off will be easy though. You can use screws or drywall nails to attach the new piece, I recommend screws. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 31, 2012 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
Regular furnace in MH?
Can you put a regular furnace in a MH? Is it primarily...
cathyyg
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Good or bad brands Manufactured homes
I am near the point of purchasing a manufactured home...
jackofalltrades_1956
Marlett 1997
I have a Marlett as a rental in Idaho. I haven't had...
cocolallakids
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Sponsored Products
Malibu 5 Piece Outdoor Patio Sofa Set in Espresso White
$1,309.00 | LexMod
Hopson Sectional - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Fleurette Mirror
$188.99 | Dot & Bo
Couristan 1523-0121 Recife Cocoa Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 15230121086086N
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Black Wall Mount Lantern with Clear Glass
$34.00 | Home Depot
Highlands 2-light Wall Fixture
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Nottington Collection Gilded Iron 2-light Wa
Home Depot
Paradise Indoor/Outdoor Rug 8'3" x 11'6" - ORANGE
$799.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™