Building a custom modular home...where to start?

jessearlJuly 30, 2007

My husband and I are just starting our renovation process and don't really know what the first step is. Because of an oddly shaped building plot, none of the "stock" plans we've looked at from Modular companies really fit what we need. How do we start the custom design process? Should we find an architect first to design it or a custom modular company we like and see if they recommend a designer?

Also, any recommendations for northeastern NJ? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

Choose your builder/dealer first. An architect may or may not know about some of the technical considerations of the modular concept. A particular modular manufacturer may have length limitations based on factory size, delivery equipment, transport laws, etc.. Start with a dealer.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 6:56PM
christopherh

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend. Just about all modular companies have design staffs and can custom make a home.
Also what are your limitations? Slope? Lot size? drainage?

I am not recommending this company, but I have seen their products first hand up here in Vermont as there's a whole subdivision using theor product. But they can and do build custom houses to your specs.

Click the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Westchester Modular

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 7:43AM
christopherh

One of th emain things you want to do is find a manufacturing facility that's within 200 miles of your lot. There are many such places in the northeast. Going halfway across the country to find a manufacturer can be costly as far as transportation goes. Find a company that has a rep in NJ and start there. Also decide if you just want the home delivered and you'll do the general contracting or if you want the dealer to be the GC also. I had the dealer handle everything since I was in PA and the lot was in VT. And they did a very nice job.

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 7:26AM
adirondackgardener

If you are in northern NJ, I would agree that you should check out Westchester Modular Homes. Also check out Chelsea Modular Homes, which is only a short drive from Westchester Modular. They built their reputation on custom design services. (Full disclosure time: I was the CAD manager for Chelsea for a long time before moving north.) Tell them I recommended them.

Wayne

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
price over factory invoice in Calif.
Any info on approximate price should pay over the factory...
peggy1595
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
Sponsored Products
Sistene Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
Heirloom Treasures Solid Brass Jade Pull
Signature Hardware
Darya Rugs Kaitag, Black, 3'10" x 4'2" M1770-258
Darya Rugs
Courtyard Terracotta and Bone Runner: 2 Ft. 4 In. x 6 Ft. 7 In. Area Rug
$43.01 | Bellacor
Hinkley Lighting Path & Landscape Lights 120-Volt Line Voltage Mushroom Path
Home Depot