Buying Double Wide

revooh_cJune 15, 2007

Hopefully Monday will reveal to us that HUD has accepted our bid on a foreclosed double wide mobile home. The house is on a permanent brick foundation on 1 acre of land in SC.

Anyway, this would be the first time I have ever owned a mobile home. While the house is essentially in move in condition, there are some changes we want to make.

First of all, it has a small double sided fireplace between the living room and den. We want to remove it and replace it with a more efficient fireplace we can use to heat the house during the winter (and place the new fireplace in the corner, not the middle of the room). Is this advisable? Removing the fireplace would make for a very nice open "great room".

Secondly, I have been reading some in the forum about tiling. Since the house is on a permanent foundation, can we tile the bathrooms and the back entry/laundry room?

Finally, what about hardwoods? We want to remove all of the carpet and replace with hardwoods. Can we do "real" hardwoods, or do we need to stay with laminates?

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

I can help you with the fireplace.
Don't put in another fireplace if you want to use it for heat. Put in a woodstove. Many woodstoves are rated for manufactured homes and will heat your home very nicely. And you'll use less than 1/4 the wood than a fireplace will need to have the same heat. If you want to put it in a corner just get some small doorway fans to move the air to other parts of the house.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

As for tiling the baths and entry, it depends on whether the floor is subject to flexing. If the fllor is not stiff enough to keep from flexing when you move across it, over time the grout will crumble out and the tiles may break.
As to hardwood flooring, I don't see why not.

Bookmark   July 20, 2007 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Good or bad brands Manufactured homes
I am near the point of purchasing a manufactured home...
jackofalltrades_1956
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
Moving an old Windsor (70's) single wide SAFE?
A friend of mine has a 1970 ish Windsor 14X 70 or 12...
poaky1
Selling Older Manufactured Home/Financing
Hello everybody, I am new here. Been reading alot....
knappyvw
Looking for advice, might be buying manufactured/modular
Hi! My husband and I will be looking at this house...
Turner58800
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™