tile floors

fayedeJune 6, 2007

I have a saltillo tile floor in my manufactured home. I was assured by the dealer it would not be a problem to install this. It was fine at first, but now after several years the grout is cracking and drying out, leaving holes. What is causing this? The tile was laid over lineolium. I don't know if the grout can be repaired, or even if I do, it will just crack again. I am wondering if I should just have the tile removed and replaced with something else like Pergo or hardwood? It looks horrible and is driving me crazy! Please, any ideas? My home is a Santa Fe style and that is why we did the Saltillo. I also have it in the master bath and office... where it still looks fine. It is only bad in the entry area, kitchen and part of the living room (just around the edge). The majority of the living room is fine. But if I have to take it out, it will all have to go!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adirondackgardener

I'm not a tile expert, but I won't let that stop me from offering an opinion!

Perhaps it's not the fault of the tile or grout. I've never seen tile installed over a non-absorbant material. Wood sub-flooring or even concrete gives a surface that tile, adhesive and grout can all cling to. I'm not sure that grout has a prayer of adhering to linoleum. Sounds to me like whoever installed the tile took a shortcut by not removing the linoleum.

Wayne

Bookmark   June 7, 2007 at 10:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mannymanbo

The floor is not strong enough to support the weight of tile. the deflecting due to the weight is causing the joints to flex and breaks the grout.
I would remove the tile and go with a lighter finish. Oh, don't trust the dealers, they will tell you anything you want to hear!

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Sponsored Products
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Araya Mediterranean
$50.97 | Home Depot
Elden Runner 2'6" x 8' - PLATINUM
$299.00 | Horchow
Textured Lines Rug 10' x 14' - BEIGE
$4,599.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Fabu Red 2' x 3'
$99.00 | Home Depot
Jaipur Maroc Nyasha Flat Weave Tribal Pattern Wool Handmade Rug - RRC003010-0361
$58.00 | Hayneedle
Ziggidy Teal Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug
$101.95 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handwoven Doubleweave Sea Grass Blue Rug (2' 6 x 8')
Overstock.com
Alliyah Handmade Black New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™