wausau modular home- built pretty crappy
We have recently purchased a Wausau modular home that was built 13 years ago.
Since the house has so many problems I thought the rest of the world deserved knowing just how crappy these are built.
1. Roof was certainteed shingles- the ones in the class action lawsuit that fail to stay on- cost to me- full roof replacement with a 13 yr old home.
2. No access hole built to check into attic. OUr house has ghost framing issues- black frame area streaks on ceiling. The GC is not sure it was be resolved.
3. Wausau, at that time- 13 years ago, made all the homes with the housewrap inside the osb board. That's right- the OSB is unprotected. Which might not be a huge concern accept they also....did the following...
4. They put every window in wrong so the rain goes up against the OSB board and rots under the windows. The flashing was done wrong. We are having all siding removed, rot cut off the sides of the house. housewrap put on outside the OSB , and P200 insulation added. then the siding is getting put back on. Added unknown cost at time of purchase about $10,000. Why didn't we know when we paid $450 for a home inspection? Because home inspectors don't remove anything to check. They are not allowed.
I suggest you take a handiman if you look at buying one of these homes. Have him remove the siding under a window and check for black and green rotten OSB you can poke your finger thru!
5. The subfloor is rotten under the doors. Due to the glass doors getting put on with a board too long and improper flashing, we had to hire a crew to remove 18 inches of the floor there due to rot, the wood on the bottom of the doors is visibly damaged, and the wall under the doors in the basement, will need replacement due to rot. I can attach pics if you want.
6. The home was put together with gaps between the sections. The GC says as much as 1/2" gaps with no insulation. Also random holes cut into the OSB 6 inches across where there was no insulation or patch. The GC bought a case of spray foam to fill in - we wouldn't have known if it wasn't for the rotten walls.- Buyer beware.
7. No outside outlet- covered- but wires were found behind it to have a useable outlet if only they put a plug in on the wires! Thought I'd have to pay an electrician to get power on the deck. The GC found the wires were there just never made usable! Unbelievable!
8. Wausau must have little quality control. They allowed the home owner to do his own electric and plumbing. As a result, we are not up to code, and paying over a $1000 to get the electric right.
We only had the house 5 weeks. But I thought you should know what we have found out so far. Before buying this home I was under the impression that Wausau was a high end brand. That doesn't translate to high quality.