sky light coverings

nicknashJune 25, 2006

I have an annoying skylight in the kitchen that radiates the heat downward in our current 105 degrees. I have put sun film on the inside but the wife complains that when the sun reaches it, it has a strong unpleasant odor.

Looking for other solutions that can keep the heat and bright lights out and the wife happy.

Any others with the same problems?

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jiggreen

i don't really have that problem, our skylight is in our kid's bathroom and i love it. it does warm the bathroom up a bit, but i think it's a fair trade-off for the nice bright light it provides. if i were in your situation i would consider a blind for the skylight.

:) jiggreen

Here is a link that might be useful: skylight blind

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 12:17PM
nicknash

Thanks for the response and the link. The skylight blinds look good and I'll check them out. I thought they were probably very expensive, but I may have to go that route anyway.
Nick

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 3:58AM
jiggreen

that site has pricing, the bali's can be had for less than $150.00 which is for one blind, but (speaking as a wife here...lol) $150.00 is nothing compared to making your wife happy! i also think that by keeping out all of that heat, you're air conditioning bill would go down a bit. you would probably recoup some of the money over the long term.

:) jiggreen

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 2:21PM
Snomam

I have the same problem with a skylight in the kitchen. I put two layers of sun film that didn't help. One year I put velcro and a thick layer of fabric up there but that didn't really work since it sagged. Those blinds are very expensive! What I try to do is time my kitchen activities around when the glaring sun is beating down on my neck.

Bookmark   July 1, 2006 at 4:50PM
anrsaz

I read somewhere...sorry can't remember where, that if you do use something to cover the heat from the skylight, lets say a blind, it needs to be for a skylight. What happens is it traps heat it and can damage the skylight. So just make sure you're buying something rated for a skylight. That was probably the funny smell from the film. Gotta watch the heat that will get trapped.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
Sponsored Products
Afina Signature Traditional Lighted 24W x 34H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet
Hayneedle
Olivia Suspension
Lightology
Security Light: Rite Lite Hi-Output 1 Watt LED Wireless with Motion Sensor, Whit
$13.26 | Home Depot
P4587-80: Santiago Forged Black Five-Light Chandelier
$426.33 | Bellacor
Varaluz | Flow Mini Pendant Light
$159.00 | YLighting
Onion Bulb Pendant in Brown
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Bahama Weave 60 in. Mojavi Thin Weave Fl
Home Depot
Murray Feiss Tegan Modern Contempo Table Lamp
1800Lighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™