replacing 'insulation'

summergardenerMay 26, 2007

Has anyone else had experience replacing what is supposedly insulation under the vinyl siding? We took off our vinyl siding recently (to add a roof for our deck) on our 93 model and were greatly disapointed. There was very little insulation and large gaps between pieces of it. Now, we are ready to replace the vinyl siding and want to add better insulation. Any advice from experienced owners?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ibuildem

I assume you are referring to the foam board insulation installed under the siding.

If that is the case, it would be to your benefit, before re-installing the vinyl siding, to buy new sheets of the foam board and replace what is there (be sure to buy the same thickness of foam board). It is relatively inexpensive, and you'll rest easier knowing that, at least in THAT location, you have full insulation.

Another option would be to replace the vinyl siding with the type that has foam insulation molded into the siding itself. The problem with that is you might have a hard time matching the pattern, texture, and color.

You might have a legitimate complaint against the manufacturer, if the siding was originally installed by them. HUD requires full foam board insulation under the siding, and it appears the manufacturer may have taken some short cuts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Manufactured Home Standards - HUD

Bookmark   May 26, 2007 at 3:13PM
More Discussions
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Where to get Homeowners Insurance??
We are in the process of purchasing a vacation property...
marksteph
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™