Where to get Homeowners Insurance??

markstephMay 20, 2008

We are in the process of purchasing a vacation property at Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. The home is a 19 year old single wide (14x56) mobile home in very good condition. We are trying to find insurance coverage for it. We have State Farm on our main home and our cars but are having difficulty finding coverage for the mobile we intend to purchase. Does anyone have any recommendations for companies that offer coverage for mobile homes?

Thanks, Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linkay42

I live in Alabama and had one heck of a time getting insurance as Allstate would not renew us after all the hurricanes here..Because we did not have our cars insured with them..Did not even give us a chance..So went with Formost through AARP..Good luck Linda

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 8:47PM
Mickey15

Our insurance for our mobile home is through Grange. We have never had any problems with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grange insurance

Bookmark   May 21, 2008 at 4:04PM
tkhooper

My insurance is through State Farm. Never had a problem getting it. Of course mine is a double wide maybe that makes it different?

Bookmark   July 2, 2008 at 5:34AM
countryboymo

Check American Family they are good and even with mobiles homes in the country or boonies, I had mine listed with them after farm bureau bent me over the barrel. DO NOT GO FARM BUREAU they are liars. You will be happy with American Family trust me!

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 12:14AM
cmayomh

I just finished speaking with my State Farm agent about a property I'm considering and after doing a little research, he told me that State Farm won't insure a mobile older than 20 years unless they're already carrying the risk on a policy, i.e. if they write a policy on a 19 year old home, they'll continue covereage as long as you pay premiums.

Also, the mobile has be be the policyholder's primary residence, and State Farm must also carry the policyholder's auto policy.

He also said the property had to be within 10 miles of a fire station and not at significant risk of wildfires, so the area would need to be pretty much cleared of underbrush, etc..

When I asked about premiums, he gave me some numbers from an existing policy of his... 26K building, 27K contents, 100K liability for $505/yr.

Bookmark   December 5, 2014 at 2:56PM
oldSarge98

We are with Farm Bureau and are very happy with their rates but have not made any claims. @countryboymo, why do you claim they are liars?

Bookmark   December 9, 2014 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Regular furnace in MH?
Can you put a regular furnace in a MH? Is it primarily...
cathyyg
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™