vinyl wallboard repair

markmrobbinsApril 14, 2009

Finding great info on this site, thanks!

So I'm getting ready to paint over my vinyl wallboard and have one question. It's not wallpapered, just the lightly textured stuff.

At a few spots the covering is bubbled up off of the underlying surface - how should I smooth this out? Cut off the bubbled up sections then spackle? Or tape it with something then spackle?

I'm planning on priming first then painting, if that changes anything.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
markmrobbins

Also, I have a couple sizeable holes (1/2" to 3/4") that need to be patched. What's the best method?

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 3:01PM
flowerpetal

Since I am not sure on the age of your home. I will provide the best way that I know of for repairing the holes that you have. It will actually be better to remove a panel of vinyl covered wallboard from your closet and exchange it with the damaged piece. Since it is in the back of the closest you will not see it as readily. You should be able to pop the batten strips that hold it in place to take it out. Good Luck!

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 5:59PM
kjakab

That sounds like alot of work. Plus if there are kids in the house, you'll likely have more holes and eventually run out of closet panels. I'd just get all rough edges out the holes, then put some dry wall tape over them and then use dry wall mud, then sand smooth. I don't know what to tell you about the bubbles. I have some places like around some of my windows were I think they maybe just tightened the screws too much and it casued the covering the wrinkle up. I just planned on painting over it since it will covered by curtains anyways. good luck.

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Modular Homes VS mobile home
Please dont confuse Modular and mobile home. They are...
Minxie
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
What is the Cadillac of MH manfs.?
What brands are top of the line in mobile homes. We...
goldenbuckeye
Selling Older Manufactured Home/Financing
Hello everybody, I am new here. Been reading alot....
knappyvw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™