Need advice on the floor seam running down center of house

kleilacApril 30, 2012

Hi. We're getting ready to lay vinyl plank flooring in our manufactured home and after pulling up the carpet, found that there's a small space between the two sides of the house (the seam that runs down the middle of the floor).. the space is about 1/8", maybe 1/4"... Luckily, the two sides are level....I did some checking on some other forums to see if we need to fill this gap in with something or just lay the flooring over it. A couple of people advised that we fill it in, however, no one seems to know what we should use to fill it in..

The flooring we've purchased is from Lowes.. It's called "Luxury Vinyl Plank" and it lays directly over the subfloor. The planks are each 4" wide, 36" long and are peel and stick. We were advised to buy Henry's floor primer to insure a good seal.. But before we can get started, we need to figure out what to do about this slight gap..

My son suggested we use foam insulation, smooth it flat with a putty knife, then sand it if necessary before applying the primer.. Would that work??

There's so much interesting info on this site about manufactured homes, I'm hoping someone may have an idea of what we should use...

Thank you for any help anyone can give us :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Lowes with description of flooring

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jessicaml

Do you have a manufactured home store in your area? I'd call them. It seems to me that with a floating floor you wouldn't need to fill it in...it might be necessary for the home to shift and expand, rather like the lovely batten strips. That's just my hypothesis, though; I'm no expert. Is there actual air coming through the gap?

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™