DH in a legal time warp for buying DW

wantoretire_didApril 14, 2010

Hoping for an offer on our stick built home after 1-1/2 yrs. on the market and drastic lowering of price and $8,000 tax credit in the deal. We are having open house this Sat. and Sunday. We have found a great DW to buy in an over 55 community, but DH, who has a real estate background, wants to have a title search done as to any liens, etc. on the DW. Also wonders about an inspection. The home is 8 years old. Current owner for 2 years who has taken very good care and many upgrades.

I have a legal background on real estate, and can't convince him that legally, buying a manufactured home is like buying a car. Any advice here? There's precious little online.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pris

Humor him. What harm can it do? He'll sleep better at night and won't blame you everytime something goes wrong.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 7:06PM
wantoretire_did

Thanks pris - That's the usual stance I take ;-)

We had 2 lookers yesterday; not what the realtor had expected on this 'blitz' open house weekend. Hoping for more today. I'm about to give up hope, at least for this year.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 5:05AM
Moccasin

Wantto, why are you ready to give up hope? Would not the time just at the end of school year be the prime time for lookers to become buyers? Don't throw in the towel yet, this is a new kind of R/E market, and you have to reel 'em in slow like. Always keep your bait fresh.

Two lookers is better than none.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 11:06PM
christopherh

I see no problem getting a title search. I would want one. Especially if the DW is on it's own property. And as far as an inspection, why not? I would want one too. Because no matter what type of house it is, manufactured, modular, or stick built, you should have it inspected for trouble or potential trouble. Because after you close, EVERY house is like a used car. You own it.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 8:34AM
wantoretire_did

Moccasinlanding - It's been nearly 2 years since we listed - 3 days before the crash. It's just so frustrating to prepare for showing then not even have any feedback other than its cute, clean. well maintained, and not even an offer. There was a real estate blitz last weekend to reel in those looking for the $8k credit and there were 3 very interested lookers. I'm not packing yet.

Christopherh -DH has calmed down. No title search on a DW in a park. In NY its the same as buying a car. Whhhooo, scary, but that's how it is. We will go for an inspection.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Moving an old Windsor (70's) single wide SAFE?
A friend of mine has a 1970 ish Windsor 14X 70 or 12...
poaky1
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Sponsored Products
New Hand Knotted Red Navy 12' X 18' Super Heriz Serapi Wool Oriental Rug H3280
BH Sun Inc
Animal House Ibis Garlic Press
Overstock.com
Madsen Corner Chair - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Monarch Dark Bronze Sixteen-Light Chandelier with Golden Shadow/Champagne Royal
Bellacor
Couristan Everest Gridiron Rug - 08714894020037T
$59.00 | Hayneedle