Replacing kitchen light in ceiling and installing ceiling fans?

Sheri_CApril 10, 2013

Is it possible to replace a large recessed fluorescent light in the kitchen ceiling with some type of pendant light fixture in a mobile home? I would love to get rid of this dated light but I'm not sure if a mobile home ceiling would support the light fixture or if rewiring would be a problem. I would also like to hang ceiling fans in some of the rooms but I assume this would not be possible. (The master bedroom and living room both have ceiling fans, but they were original to the MH.) Someone told me that any other areas that were not originally designed for a ceiling fan would not be able to support one.

By the way, it's a doublewide, manufactured in 1997.

Any help and before/after pictures would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantoretire_did

Have an electrician take down the old light and take a look at the connection. You might need a stronger box, or not. That is a simple fix. Our small LR fan came with the DW but we did have a larger fan/lights installed last year. I think he may have replaced the box.

As an aside, Don't put a fan anywhere near the kitchen stove if it is gas. Could blow the flame out, even on low fan setting. I couldn't use my fan in our last house when I needed it most - hot humid days :-(.

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Good or bad brands Manufactured homes
I am near the point of purchasing a manufactured home...
jackofalltrades_1956
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Moving an old Windsor (70's) single wide SAFE?
A friend of mine has a 1970 ish Windsor 14X 70 or 12...
poaky1
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™