New Owner!

rreed232April 20, 2014

After lots of serious discussions about our future and our budgeting, my DH and I have decided to buy a manufactured home. We've been pretty satisfied and impressed by what we've seen so far. Quality seems quite good and I love all the choices! My first question to other members is.. do you still find the stereotypes rankle?? I was reading a fun article in a well known decorating magazine and was shocked to see the quoter "mobile homes fall apart" It just hit me wrong I guess.. and has diminished some of the pleasure I've had in planning. Even in a fairly rural area such as mine, with lovely manufactured home communities, there seems to still be some stigma. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

It's just ignorance.

When most people think of manufactured housing, the beasts from the 1960s and 1970s come to mind. You know, the two tone ones with tin siding, and taillights.

People who live in urban areas think of poor people living in "trailer parks" because that's what they saw on "Cops" every week.

There's a dealer near us that has on his lot a double wide log sided cape. And when that house is set on a permanent foundation, nobody will know anything about it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 7:29AM
wantoretire_did

I agree with christopherh. We live in a wonderful, large 2002 Marlette doublewide in a senior park. If you are in that age group, I think it is the way to go. Otherwise, in a strictly managed park or better yet, on a foundation on your own land.

Check out the links here. Some of the decorating is over the top, but you will be amazed at the transformations. On 4 the love of wood, be sure to go thru all of the pictures to the end :-). Mobile Home Living will be the most informative for you. Just do your research and you won't be disappointed. Keep us postedâ¦...

http://4theloveofwood.blogspot.com/p/our-house.html

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/doublewide-with-pride/detail.esi?oid=472221&cObjId=650104

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobile Home Living

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 6:24AM
casagrande

yes, I believe that stigma is still alive and well. we bought one two years ago. I could never afford what this place has in a stick built home. what ruins it for us is the people that let theirs go and don't take care of them.....gives the rest of us a bad rep! I am not sorry, no buyers remorse.

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 2:05PM
cathyyg

I agree, the stigma lingers. But since I have a far nicer home than any of the ignorant people looking down their nose at my "trailer" I simply don't care. Oh, the eyes I have opened with a tour of my house; sheetrock walls, 8 foot sidewalls, sheetrock ceilings. It looks like a standard onsite constructed house inside.

Bookmark   June 18, 2014 at 8:03PM
PVHIII

You would never know your in a Manufactured home when your inside our Deer Valley..even the seam in the ceiling has been mudded and textured (an upgrade)...the only give away is the thickness of the marriage wall (alot thicker than the rest)

Bookmark   November 4, 2014 at 5:31AM
More Discussions
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Marlett 1997
I have a Marlett as a rental in Idaho. I haven't had...
cocolallakids
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
Selling Older Manufactured Home/Financing
Hello everybody, I am new here. Been reading alot....
knappyvw
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Elegant Motif Green/Cream 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Lounge Floormat by Chilewich
$410.00 | Lumens
The Polaris Sinks PL704 16-gauge Kitchen Ensemble
Overstock.com
Neutral Abstract II Print
$12.99 | zulily
Big Apple Splash Art Print
$21.99 | Dot & Bo