New washer, new hammer!

bpparkDecember 1, 2013

We replaced our old Kenmore washer with a new Kenmore washer and also had the plumber come and install new valves and a new laundry tub & faucet. Now we have hammer. I'm guessing the new high-efficiency washer has more aggressive solenoids or something because when it fills, stops, fills, stops, etc., it bangs like crazy. The copper pipes feeding the appliance are strapped down pretty tight and they don't seem to be moving, but the hoses (braided metal) are dancing around like crazy when this happens and, of course, the noise is annoying. What's the best approach here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whirlpool_trainee

"Water hammer arrestors" will stop the noise in the pipes. If it's just the hoeses dancing and knocking around, I'd simply attach them to the washer - use some duct tape or similar.

Alex

Bookmark   December 1, 2013 at 9:24PM
dave1812

check your water pressure. if it's over 100 lbs, adjust the regulator to about 90# and if you don't have a regulator, BUY ONE!

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:34AM
dave1812

oh, and what the "trainee" suggested, but high water pressure can cause issues with appliances so start there and install the anti-hammer device if high pressure isn't the issue.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 10:37AM
housefairy

I didn't have the hoses dancing around but had the "clunk" noise. I also have arresters soldered on my pipes, and they weren't helping the washer.

Go down to your plumbing supply store and get ones that attach to the washing machine spigot. Actually I have the the water hammer arrestors and then the water leak hose detectors attached to mine. Stopped the problem.

Google "Sioux Chief 660-H 3/4in Female Swivel Hose Thread X 3/4in Male Hose Thread Mini Rest" to see what I am talking about.

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 11:25AM
bppark

Thanks, all. Sioux Chief looks like a simple enough solution. (Isn't it interesting that Amazon packages them with a pressure meter?)

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Blinded by the technology and shiny bits
A couple of weeks ago my 20 yr old 22lb Admiral dryer...
mmmm12
Combo washer-dryer in USA?
Do they allow to purchase and use an all-in-on e washer+dryer...
neonrider
Dryer: Changing from gas to electric?
Hi, Wondering what the experiences of folks who have...
dan_no_9
Good sheet set, stand up to laundering...
Hi all: I placed this post in the laundry forum because...
CharterOps
Kenmore Detergent
Has anyone seen the Kenmore Detergent at Sears? I saw...
sparky823
Sponsored Products
Calculite 6 Inch Non-IC Frame-In Kit
Lightology
Moroccan-Inspired Lamp
$875.00 | Horchow
Area Rug: Angelina Spa Blue 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Juno 6" White Metal Baffle Recessed Light Trim
$16.99 | Lamps Plus
Chintaly Tasha Extendable Dining Table with Glass Top - CTY1294
Hayneedle