Baby or pet gate 24 inch door opening

mudlady_gwApril 12, 2013

I live in a double wide and the bathroom door opening is only 24 inches wide. I need a pet or baby gate to keep the dog out of the bathroom because the cats' litter box is in there. This is the only place I want to keep the litter box. The need for the small opening is something I am having trouble finding. I don't want to have to pay someone to make one for me. The ideal gate would include a cat door but the cats can jump quite high and the dog is medium sized. Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers of mobile home specific items?
Thanks,
Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathyyg

The only thing that comes to mind is to use a couple of spring-loaded curtain rods and a curtain the height you want the finished gate to be. I cannot imagine what the proper height might be, as a medium sized dog can also jump quite high. Can't you just put a cat door in the door to the bathroom, one large enough for the cat hut too small for the dog?

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:28PM
mudlady_gw

The door is made of a plastic-like material and I don't know if it can be cut cleanly. Since no people use that bathroom I could remove the door. It is the 24 inch opening that is the problem.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 2:50PM
cathyyg

Frankly, your refusal to consider any options other than a baby or pet gate is the problem.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:02PM
mudlady_gw

-------âÂÂFrankly, your refusal to consider any options other than a baby or pet gate is the problem.âÂÂ-------

Not really, all handicaps aren't immediately obvious. I have Asperger Syndrome and often can't "see" what someone says. After ruminating a while I have decided to try several sturdy spring-loaded curtain rods, starting 7 inches above the floor. If the dog jumps the rods I can always add more to increase the height.

Oh!!!!! Did you mean a rod at the top and bottom and the curtain mounted on both? That might be enough to keep the dog from pushing through. I am going shopping for a small bottom café curtain and two rods. The dog is a 2 year old tiny Lab mix, 37 pounds, and she doesn't seem to be a jumper.

Thanks, Nancy

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:58PM
cathyyg

Yes, I did mean a curtain mounted on a rod at both the top and bottom. The top only would surely be useless. And FWIW, I too live somewhere on the "functional" end of the spectrum.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 5:51PM
wantoretire_did

Mudlady, here's one from Amazon. I googled 24 inch pet gate. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Accordian 24 inch gate

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:22AM
mudlady_gw

I ordered this gate--thanks, wantoretire. I searched for a couple days, almost always with Google, and asked for a gate to fit a 24 inch wide-width-and span. Every reply came back for a 24 inch height. So much for Google. I have a wonderful handyman who will be working here for several days and I hope the new gate arrives in time for him to do the installation. I don't have the courage to put many screws or nails into this house.

Nancy

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
price over factory invoice in Calif.
Any info on approximate price should pay over the factory...
peggy1595
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™