Cold Air

sandrab_gardenerApril 22, 2010

My home is about 15 years old. 2 winters ago I placed plastic on all of my windows and the cold air rushing in would push the plastic out. Meanwhile, when I placed my hands over the strips that are put on the wall that are about every 3 or 4 feet in a manufactured home, I felt cold air -- like the strips were not sealing the wall. I would not remove the plastic for it was hard to put it up. My question is -- can I remove the strips that are on my walls (every 3 or 4 feet) and apply a caulk/silicone and then reapply the strips? Or can I apply paint and throw away the strips? I need to seal up my home and do not know how to begin. Also, how would I seal around the windows and be able to remove the plastic once and for all? Any input would be appreciated so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

I do not think cold air should be coming through the strip areas. Makes me wonder about the insulation factor.

Many people have removed the strips and filled in between the pieces of sheet rock then primed and painted the walls.

Try doing a search for removing strips on walls in the search box bottom of the front subject page.

They make caulk for around windows. Ask at hardware store what they suggest for your area.

Chris

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 1:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

Try this link to many people discussing the wall strips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall strip removal

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Marlett 1997
I have a Marlett as a rental in Idaho. I haven't had...
cocolallakids
Four Seasons Manfacturered Housing
I am looking for information on Four Seasons Manufacturered...
Linda928
Just bought double wide office trailer
Greetings All, I just bought a doublewide office trailer...
RobGT90
Modular Homes VS mobile home
Please dont confuse Modular and mobile home. They are...
Minxie
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™