best way to eat patty pan squash

bettyd_z7_vaAugust 25, 2010

Hi All,

I usually just lurk and learn here, but I need some help with a new (for me) veggie.

My friend was going out of town and gave me a bag of various veggies that her neighbor had given her.

There was ONE patty pan squash in the bag. I've never tried it and would really like to prepare it in a way that I could enhance the flavor. It is large enough for one nice serving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelellen

Pattypans are quite similar to zucchini or other soft skin or "Summer" squashes, and can be cooked in the same ways. They are a bit more dense than zucchini, and thus hold up better in stewed dishes or to reheating.

Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 9:59AM
teresa_nc7

Earlier this week I fixed one large patty pan by stuffing it:

~ I cut off a thin sliver on the bottom so it would sit securely in a baking dish

~ cut off hard part near the stem end

~ cut out a cone wedge of the stem end about 3" wide and chopped up the flesh in this cone

~ sauteed some onion, bell pepper, the squash, and garlic in a little olive oil until tender, then added in some dried bread crumbs, Italian seasonings, s&p, and cooked until well blended and crumbs were crispy

~ put this stuffing in the cavity created by the cone cut-out, pushed some small cubes of swiss cheese into the stuffing and set the squash in a small baking dish, adding a little water to the bottom; baked at 350 until the squash was tender, then put some more cubes of cheese on top of the stuffing and baked until they were melted. It was pretty good, but I decided the flavor of this squash was not as good as other squash. But, it may have been too big, as I felt the need to remove the seeds in the bottom below the cone I cut out.

Teresa

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 10:01AM
bettyd_z7_va

Thanks Rachelellen and Teresa,

I think I may go the stuffing route with maybe a little tomato introduced into the mix.

If nothing happens, it will be my lunch tomorrow.

I will let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again,

Betty

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 4:12PM
angelaid

I had my first one last night. Sliced into finger-size slices, dipped in egg (with a dash of Tabasco) then in seasoned flour and fried. Used Ranch dressing for a dip. I loved it!

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:27AM
bettyd_z7_va

Angel,

Sounds Yummy! I just put mine in the oven.

Prepared sort of like Teresa did her's.

I added a little butter to the interior of the squash before adding the filling. I also added a few teaspoons of peach salsa mixed with the filling to give it a little bite.

Can't wait until it's done! I'm hungry!

Dern! I just scrolled back up and read that Teresa added some italian seasoning, and I didn't.

Oh well...the peach salsa will be my seasoning.

Betty

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 11:47AM
sheshebop

We love it cut into small cubes and sauteed in butter with onions and garlic. We also add Italian seasoning to it.

Bookmark   August 26, 2010 at 12:02PM
bettyd_z7_va

I ate the whole thing in one sitting! lol

It was good. I got a little carried away with the peach salsa, which overpowered the taste of the squash, but it was still good.

The squash is a bit bland and I probably wouldn't grow it in my small garden space, but I would certainly cook and eat any that was given to me.

I will try to find some at the Farmer's Market to cook for DH and DS to get their opinion.

Can't try it with the onion/garlic. (allergic)

I have an Italian seasoning that doesn't have onion/garlic in it that I will try next time.

OK, so maybe I WOULD plant one or two plants. lol

Betty

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 7:10AM
centralcacyclist

I like squash brushed with a bit of olive oil and then grilled.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 4:08PM
bettyd_z7_va

Grilled is my favorite way to eat zucchini and crooked neck. With sea salt. YUM!

Betty

Bookmark   August 28, 2010 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
The Monkey Princess makes pasta and pies
The Princess has Italian grandparents on Dave's side,...
annie1992
What happened to my soup?
Made a homemade chicken soup....carrots, onion, celery,...
lookintomyeyes83
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™