Question/Ideas about vinyl siding

Sheri_CMarch 18, 2013

My husband and I are planning to have new vinyl siding installed on our doublewide this year. We have looked at samples of different types of siding available and I need some opinions on "dutch lap" siding vs. the traditional horizontal siding. Our MH is very long, and it seems to me that the dutch lap, while very popular right now, looks more narrow than the traditional siding once it's installed. To me, installing siding which looks narrow would probably make the MH look even longer and more boxlike, whereas using a wider siding might offset the length a little bit. Any comments, ideas and especially pictures would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masonliam

Our MH is very long, and it seems to me that the dutch lap, while very popular right now, looks more narrow than the traditional siding once it's installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: car tinting film

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:38AM
christopherh

Now that Mason has gotten his jollies spamming, I'll try to answer your question.

I would definitely go with traditional siding. Simply because as you say, it won't make your home look so long.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 7:50AM
Ingardenguy57

We were going to reside our dw as well. Everyone has their own taste, but for us since our home is small we have been in the thinking of going for the small cottage look,and to that end will be going with vinyl board and batten siding.The vertical lines in our thinking can make a dw look taller.and the batten gives off nice shadow lines. We are going with Certain Teed brand siding.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 9:35AM
Sheri_C

Thanks for your responses. I too would like to make my DW look more "cottage like"--it's just a real challenge with such a rectangular shape. I have found that landscaping in a cottage garden style has really helped make it look more individual. I like the board and batten siding as well--I'm afraid my MH might look weird since it's so long. But I think we're going to use either board and batten or fishscale shingles on the gable of the porch that we have added and also on the side gables to make it look more like a cute cottage and give it some individuality.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 3:54PM
Ingardenguy57

Yes it can be a challenge to say the least. We to have used landscaping to give our home the cottage feel. Good luck with your project !

Bookmark   March 20, 2013 at 6:52AM
wantoretire_did

Pictures please :-) We have been in our 2002 DW in upstate NY for 2 1/2 years. Started with a clean slate outside and after a lot of work, finally had some substantial perennial growth last summer and had a carport installed. I've extended the garden further toward the back on the side where the steps are. I'm going for a small cottage garden. This picture is when we bought the home - Muffin shrubs and zinnias everywhere :-(

I'll post more pics in another thread.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:57AM
wantoretire_did

Garden last summer

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 4:58AM
wantoretire_did

garden across front last summer

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 5:01AM
cathyyg

Oh, what an improvement! Your gardening work is beginning to really pay off now.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:56PM
Sheri_C

It's really pretty. Good landscaping helps improve the exterior of a mobile home just as much as any actual changes to the structure. I'm really interested in doing things to the exterior to "soften" up the boxy look at the mobile home. The new siding will help. We've done a lot of landscaping ourselves, adding a picket fence with a cottage garden around the entry. I think putting up different shutters will help as well.

Bookmark   March 26, 2013 at 8:15AM
Sheri_C

Ingardenguy57,

The more I think about your comment about board and batten siding, the more sense it makes. I've always liked that style, but thought that because my MH is so long, it would make it look longer. But I've been noticing a few houses that have that style of siding and it does seem to make the house look taller, which could only help with my long low MH. If you have already had the siding installed on your home, could you possibly download some pictures of it? It would be great to see it on another MH. All of the "visualizer" tools on the siding websites only seem to have two-story houses to use, which doesn't help a whole lot. Also, is this option more expensive than the horizontal siding? Any info you could give would be appreciated.

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:17PM
Fiesta222

wanttoretire, your home is beautiful!!

Bookmark   May 4, 2013 at 7:39PM
new-beginning

have you considered HardiPlank? Just did my grand-son's DW last month and wow, what a change (even took off the skirting and ran the Hardy down to the ground/foundation

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 11:04PM
Sheri_C

I've always heard that HardiPlank is really expensive. Is there a big cost difference between that and vinyl siding?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:21AM
forboystoo

Generally your insurance should be cheaper w/Hardi due to the fire rating.

Click around the site attached .
Might help a little.

I am in no way assoc.w/that site ~Just something I found while "googling"
There's a lot of articles and they don't seem to be selling a particular type.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://sidingmagazine.com/

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:34PM
Ingardenguy57

Sheri_C, Will be starting on our Vinyl Board and Batten siding job Tue. 6-11-13. Will try to get a few pics posted when I can.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 10:43AM
Sheri_C

ingardenguy57,

Thanks for remembering. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 7:56AM
Ingardenguy57

Sheri_ C, Our Borad and Batten siding job is complete. and I will try to get a pic or two posted here this week,IF I can figure out how to do that ?????? All in All the siding worked out as we had hope. Sorry for the delay in posting pics.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 9:22AM
Sheri_C

Can't wait to see the photos! I wish I could give you some advice on posting the pics, but I'm definitely technologically challenged. We talked to the contractor that does work on our MH--he said he could do board and batten, but it will cost more because it's more labor intensive than the horizontal siding. Apparently, they have to be on a ladder for every piece that is installed so installation takes longer. I guess that makes sense, but I never would have thought that the contractors would charge extra for the amount of time spent on a ladder! I guess they like to charge extra for everything they can think of.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:01AM
Ingardenguy57

Sheri_C Sorry about not having posted pics yet. I have study how G W says I have to do it. But it will require me joining a photo sharing site such as Photo Bucket. Gee I thought I could just post from my Mac photo files. I will keeping working on it.As for as your contractor saying it is more labor intensive, I would have to disagree with that. Back in my younger days I hung a lot of siding.And watching my contractor install ours, it goes up just as fast.And I must say I am like you, never heard of a contractor charging extra because of ladder time.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 9:48AM
Sheri_C

Ingardenguy57,
I appreciate your trying to figure out how to post the pics. If it would be easier, I have a "junk mail" email address that you could use and just send them as attachments. I don't mind posting the address since it's not the address I use on a daily basis. It's sskiba13@yahoo.com.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 4:39PM
Ingardenguy57

sheri_c , i mailed you three pics of the board and batten siding. if for any reason you don't get them please let me know and I will resend. Thanks

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 9:48AM
Sheri_C

I got them! Your house looks terrific. We have been thinking about going with a gray color, so seeing yours really helps us imagine what it will look like. Looking at your flower beds, you can tell how that siding color will really make your flowers "pop." The wide white window trim is a nice contrast too. I really appreciate your taking the time to send the pics.

Bookmark   July 21, 2013 at 11:18AM
Ingardenguy57

Thanks Sheri_C, Thank You, Yes we really like the darker grey color.I thought capping the windows and doing away with the shutters helped as well to give the house a cleaner less cluttered look. Well Good Luck with your project !!!!!!

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 8:32AM
brnincalif

Here is my modular before and after doing the siding, I wanted to break it up some and give it more character and curb appeal.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:28AM
brnincalif

Here it is after

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
Windows on Washington Ltd

I like it.

The color contrast is nice and it really stands out nicely.

Looks like a nice job.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Good Reputable Modular Home Company In The NE
Hi folks, We are strongly considering putting a modular...
nancyinri
"bathrooms stink" in 2007 deer valley dw manufactured home
We purchased a 2007 Deer Valley double wide used 2...
pinkbumblebee
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
Sponsored Products
Skybox Bird House
Grandin Road
Whitaker Astral Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
$181.00 | Bellacor
Playhouse: Little Cottage 8 x 10 Cape Cod Wood Playhouse
Hayneedle
Hanging Homestead Bird House
Grandin Road
Suet Birdhouse Feeder
$12.99 | zulily
Millbridge Satin Nickel Outdoor Wall Mounted Light
$37.95 | Bellacor
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon 3/8 Series 60 in. x 71 in.
Home Depot
Little Cottage 8 x 12 Victorian Wood Playhouse - 8X12VICTORIAN W/O FLOOR KIT
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™