Refacing Kitchen Cabinets

Shades_of_idahoJanuary 29, 2010

Has any one refaced their kitchen cabinets? We have real wood doors and drawers the rest is that paper over thin ply. Suggestions on where to start?

Thanks Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debdaw

I'm thinking the same thing. My cabinets are oak framing and all oak drawers and doors.My cabinets look great but for the sides has the fake ply also. I also have an island thats the same way. I'm going to get a cabinet person to add oak wood to the sides and cover the fake ply. This can be done.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Shades_of_idaho

Hi Forgot about posting this. We are almost finished with the kitchen refacing project. Adding the REAL wooden styles makes such a huge difference. We do have the ply sides but it is wood and not paper covered wood look.

I am pleased with how it is turning out. Very happy we decided to leave off the crown on the top too.Gives a cleaner look.

He did the work in stages so the kitchen was always usable.

Also adding a inside window in the guest bath. Non opening. Mostly to let light in.

If you already have the wood styles and doors drawers it should be easy to change the sides. We had pressed paper styles with contact paper like stuff over it. YUCK I still think you will end up with a veneer ply.

Chris

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 1:48AM
More Discussions
Where to get Homeowners Insurance??
We are in the process of purchasing a vacation property...
marksteph
Going from composition shingle to a metal roof
I have a 1995 Silhouette 28x80 (76 actual) mobile home....
pmiker
mfg home factories
We are thinking about purchasing a manufactured home....
nuevomex
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™