Can anyone provide a rough cost estimate for a manufactured home?

oreadJanuary 20, 2009

My husband and I have been floating the idea of purchasing a piece of property with an older mobile home on it- something with little value, but sound enough to live in until we can afford to replace it with a new modular home. That way the sewage, water and electrical would already be in place, and we could cost the whole thing out in phases. I'd like to know if anybody has any input about the soundess of this plan, and/or could provide a rough estimate as to how much might it cost to purchase a smaller modular home and install it on a permanent foundation.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kelly_pat

My husband and I purchased a 1972 double-wide last year with the same idea. The only problem is getting financing (if you need it) for an older home. In our experience, most lenders won't consider anything over 10 years old. The only way we could do it was through owner-financing.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 8:20AM
gaggysbeach

We bought a 32 X 84, 5 bedroom, 3 full bath,living room with wood burning fireplace, large den with wood burning fireplace, dining area, and large laundry room. This one had been purchased as a re-po and then completely remodeled by a local contractor. New faux finished walls throughout, new carpet throughout, new bathroom fixtures, and all new appliances, ceramic flooring, new sink, and counter tops in the kitchen. Ceiling fans in every room. New central heat and air conditioning. It was completely set up, skirted, with electric and septic system in place, and included a new 15 X 20 foot deck on the back and front porch with steps, and landing and steps to laundry room. It sits on a 3/4 acre cleared lot and was already landscaped and had grass planted. The driveway and culvert were in place. We gave $87,000 for the home and land.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 12:01AM
2ajsmama

gaggysbeach - I don't know where you live, but here in CT a lot with no improvements (in a modest town, not fancy suburb/subdivision) goes for around $100,000!

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:16PM
More Discussions
Looking for advice, might be buying manufactured/modular
Hi! My husband and I will be looking at this house...
Turner58800
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Pack Rats Under My Park Model
We use our Park Model 3 months out of the year here...
zeke1312
Where to get Homeowners Insurance??
We are in the process of purchasing a vacation property...
marksteph
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Sponsored Products
Adesso Lamps Swivel 71.5 in. Satin Nickel Floor Lamp 3677-22
$41.85 | Home Depot
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Beige, 5'2" x 8'0" M1770-102
Darya Rugs
Awntech NEVADA 6 ft. Retractable Window/Entry Awning - NV22-6B
$270.92 | Hayneedle
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Ova 60 in. Architectural Bronze
Home Depot
Edwin Acrylic Slipper Tub - Lion Paw Feet
Signature Hardware
Retro round wall clock - red 9.5"
Origin Crafts
Roll & Hill | Excel Floor Lamp
YLighting
Caroline Emerlen Runner Rug (2'2 x 7'7)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™