New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

carolbarrelJanuary 3, 2012

There is a $15K difference at least between new mobile homes and used/reposessed homes, at least around here. I'm just wondering if the newer, more updated looking mobile home with a one yr manufacturer's warranty is worth the much greater cost. Is there a way to get a dealer of used and repo mobile homes to match a new home's warranty or at least get some of the same kinds of warranty provisions in writing? Or...are all used/repo/etc mobile homes "as is" and thus a crapshoot? I'm a mobile home newbie and not particularly handy...but I also have always owned used cars so gently worn merchandise doesn't put me off. Is there any way to "kick the tires" when it comes to a used mobile home? TIA for any musings on this subject!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brnincalif

I bought a foreclosure and I think it is the best decision I ever made but I am sure each circumstance will be different. I live in northern Indiana and found one on Yahoo real estate. A 1991 DW 3/2 with a full basement,3 city lots and a two car garage for less than $20,000. So far have only done new exterior doors some windows and interior updates. But It is definely a gamble. I do know you hear how they depreciate rapidly so I do not think I would buy a new one.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 6:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbisgram

My sister & BIL bought a beautiful repo last fall. It had been well taken care of, it was maybe 5 years old, can't remember exactly. The bank accepted their offer, & the dealer set it up. There was no warranty but the dealer fixed everything they found wrong before they moved in. A reputable dealer should be willing to do the same. If I were looking again, I'd consider a repo.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
Considering an older (1972) mobile home - what do I need to know?
Hi all, I'm just beginning to look for a nice little...
cmayomh
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™