New versus Used...Warranty Important...or Not?

carolbarrelJanuary 3, 2012

There is a $15K difference at least between new mobile homes and used/reposessed homes, at least around here. I'm just wondering if the newer, more updated looking mobile home with a one yr manufacturer's warranty is worth the much greater cost. Is there a way to get a dealer of used and repo mobile homes to match a new home's warranty or at least get some of the same kinds of warranty provisions in writing? Or...are all used/repo/etc mobile homes "as is" and thus a crapshoot? I'm a mobile home newbie and not particularly handy...but I also have always owned used cars so gently worn merchandise doesn't put me off. Is there any way to "kick the tires" when it comes to a used mobile home? TIA for any musings on this subject!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brnincalif

I bought a foreclosure and I think it is the best decision I ever made but I am sure each circumstance will be different. I live in northern Indiana and found one on Yahoo real estate. A 1991 DW 3/2 with a full basement,3 city lots and a two car garage for less than $20,000. So far have only done new exterior doors some windows and interior updates. But It is definely a gamble. I do know you hear how they depreciate rapidly so I do not think I would buy a new one.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 6:15AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abbisgram

My sister & BIL bought a beautiful repo last fall. It had been well taken care of, it was maybe 5 years old, can't remember exactly. The bank accepted their offer, & the dealer set it up. There was no warranty but the dealer fixed everything they found wrong before they moved in. A reputable dealer should be willing to do the same. If I were looking again, I'd consider a repo.

Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 10:29PM
More Discussions
Insulating an older Mobile home
HI, Im new to the forum. Glad to meet you all and really...
txchick
Super scared! Modular vs manufactured? Bad reviews?
We are searching for land in Ruidoso, city lot, small...
nurseypoo5
New Carpet or Laminate?
I just bought a 1986 manufactured home which has carpet...
nwroselady
looking for company that builds modern mobile home for 100$ per sq/ft
would like to build a modern mobile home, around 1300...
golfgo
Do You Love Your Mobile Home?
Hi there. I have read the posts on this forum with...
frenchkitty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™