Painting Wood Panel Walls

angelnurse5January 30, 2011

Hello,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1979 Lancer and it has wood paneled walls throughout the home. I would like to paint the walls in the bedrooms, but don't really know how to make it look nice since there are grooves present. Anyone with experience painting wood paneling in older manufactured homes? Also, if you have pictures I would love to see them for ideas.

Thank you :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BGlad

Hello! Not sure if I am replying too late, but I just recently went through this in my "new" rental home that had a wood paneled room.

Since we plan to eventually gut the room if we decide to buy the house, I took a short cut. First, I gave the walls a good scrubbing. Then, I sanded (150 grit) all of the paneling and wiped all excess dust away with a damp cloth. Now, this is the part that I skipped: if you plan on keeping the paneling up, you'll probably want to fill the grooves in with some joint compound, using a putty knife. Let it dry and sand out any bumpy spots or ridges. Then you'll be ready to prime and paint. I used BINZ primer on my walls. 2 coats because of the darkness. Let it dry, of course, and then paint on!
I didn't have any problems, and it looks a lot better!

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 12:43AM
angelnurse5

Thank you very much BGlad for responding to my post. No, you did not answer too late. We are planning on closing on the house in the beginning of March. I wanted to have some of the rooms, primarily the bedrooms, painted before we moved in. Thank you again for the information, and I'll let you know how it turned out :-)

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 2:50PM
dulcimerduo

HI, We recently purchased a 1978 model with horrible brown paneling. I successfully painted most of it with Behr paint. I picked a lovely shade of green called Home Song, and Jasmine white on the ceilings. I did use the Behr paint with primer in it. It looks great. I didn't do anything with the grooves, just painted them. I will see if I have a photo..

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 6:41AM
dulcimerduo

Ok here's a photo..
I hope.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 7:12AM
More Discussions
Looking for advice, might be buying manufactured/modular
Hi! My husband and I will be looking at this house...
Turner58800
Should I buy this single wide?
I have an opportunity to buy a 2001 Clayton single-wide...
andy2014
Grouted Vinyl Tile & moving Mobile Home
I have recently purchased an older mobile home. It...
twosonsmama
Are the smaller single wides cheaper than larger?
I would like to eventually get a PINE GROVE single...
poaky1
Heat Pumps
Is your New manufactured home Energy Star certified...
PVHIII
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™