Peanut oil...

ritaotayAugust 27, 2008

Is 100 % peanut oil suppose to solidify in the refrigerator ( not hard like meat fat, sorta like leftover Crisco ) ?

The reason I ask... I've been buying natural peanut butter, no salt, no sugar, no nothing, just ground up peanuts and I've been draining off the oil and saving it... The oil in the last jar I bought looks the same as it did when I bought the peanut butter and it's been in the fridge for more than a week, up until then the oil has solidified...

Rita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Check the temperature of your refrigerator.
Isn't your peanutbutter awfully sticky and dry without the oil?
Linda C

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 9:46AM
terri_pacnw

Yes peanut oil will solidify when it drops to a certain temp.
In the winter, my turkey fryer oil..gets solid..we have to bring it in the house for Thanksgiving so we can pour it. :o)
Wether or not an oil gets solid at lower temps has something to do with what kind of saturated fat it's made up of..poly, mono...all that kind of thing. The more refined an oil, the less likely it is to get solid at any temp. Oil that will solidify is a healthier oil in my book.

Bookmark   August 27, 2008 at 11:48AM
ritaotay

Ok, here's a pic so you'll know what I'm talking about...

I didn't notice that they were two different colors before, hmmm... Anyway, the jar on the right is the oldest and the jar on the left shows the difference... All the oil came from Meijers Natural Peanut Butter, over the last few months, and both jars have been kept in the refrigerator....

Linda C, the temperature in the fridge is 35 degrees, unless hubby is standing in front of it with the door open ( lol ).... As for the consistency, with this brand if you leave all the oil in the jar the peanut butter is just too runny, it actually leaks out of your sandwich, even if you keep it in the fridge and I usually keep it in the cabinet...

Terri, you're right, sorta, saturated fat will solidify but so will any oil that's been hydrogenated...

I guess I should have mentioned in my original post that I'm concerned about which oil I'm actually getting... Just seems odd to me that if it's all peanut oil why hasn't the oil from the last two jars solidified...

Rita

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 3:36AM
More Discussions
Awesome Shortbread with Caramel and Dark Chocolate
I have picked up so many great recipes from this forum...
dancingqueengw
Need side dish idea and thoughts on dessert
I have been asked to bring a side dish for Easter -...
susan_in_nc
OT - spoon basket
So I am having some work done on my 'kitchen'. The...
agmss15
Apologies to St. Patrick
Not even the corned beef was done the traditional way....
dcarch7
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Sponsored Products
Triple-handle Oil Rubbed Bronze Tub/ Shower Faucet
Overstock.com
Templeton Centerset Oil Rubbed Bronze Bathroom Faucet
Overstock.com
Filament Design Picture & Display Lighting Cathrine 1 Light 11 in. Oil Brushed
Home Depot
Riviera Oiled Bronze One-Light Energy Star Outdoor Pendant with Double Shade
$138.60 | Bellacor
Basco Shower Enclosures Deluxe 27-1/4 in. to 29 in. x 63-1/2 in. Framed Pivot
Home Depot