sloped ceiling recessed lighting

salmon_slayerDecember 2, 2008

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and plan on replacing a few 6" recessed can lights and adding some. We have redwood ceilings and want either a copper/bronze trim ring or black. The ceiling is sloped (4/12) so that is really limiting our options. Any recommendations?? Also, we have found the halogen lights pretty hot standing under them. LED seems to be not quite there. Please provde your recommendations. I do want a warm light. The pictures below show what we are working with.

Steve

From 30 Nov

From 30 Nov

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

If you have 2x10 or deeper joists this will work nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 9:16PM
salmon_slayer

thank you. I went to HD and Lowes and couldn't find them or any sloped cans. Looks like I need to order them from the internet. I was really hoping to see the trim rings before ordering them but...

Steve

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 10:26PM
whidbey

Our ceilings are sloped as well. Our electricion used Juno cans. :)

Bookmark   December 9, 2008 at 2:36AM
mightyanvil

Stay away from Home depot, Lowes and the internet. Go to a reputable electrical/lighting supply house to look at the fixtures and get some free advice.

Do you intend to remove the redwood to install new housings? If not, what is the fixture brand and model number of what is there now?

In 40 years I have never seen a recessed sloped ceiling light that I liked. The openings are too large and/or in a kitchen they inevitably put light on your head instead of on walls or counters where it belongs.

I would build a redwood soffit at the top of the cabinets and install 3 3/4 inch low voltage recessed lights in the horizontal surface. That would get rid of the odd gap up there and put some light where you need it.

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
If we need to do smaller 3 inch recessed lights in a shower ....
Hi everyone, We are trying to work out if we can put...
ontariomom
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™