Query: how many people to change lightbulb

mjlbDecember 18, 2012

Answer: Definitely more than one!

I've had a high intensity desk lamp for a good 20 years, but this is the first time I've had to change the bulb -- a halogen 12V 20W JC G4 (two-prongs). I ordered replacement bulbs off the web, and have tried several, but the lamp still doesn't work. I'm wondering if it's the bulbs or the lamp (or even me). I do know to hold halogen bulb with paper, not fingers.

When I insert the lightbulb into what seems to be the only spot possible (and from where I removed the burned out bulb), it feels as though I am pushing the prongs into styrofoam. Is that the way it should be? Photo of insertion area is attached.

Thanks for any help to what sounds like a silly question -- even to me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bus_driver

When the lamp failed to work, you assumed that the "bulb" (which actually is a lamp) had failed. And you have assumed that the "new" "bulbs" are good. Without testing by a knowledgeable person, it is not possible to know exactly what has failed in your situation. I have no reason to believe that you are installing the lamp incorrectly.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 1:59PM
brickeyee

Failed transformer.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 4:44PM
mjlb

I do know that lamp is the technical term for bulb, but since I'm a lay person, I persist in using the wrong term. I guess my main question is whether inserting that type of lamp normally feels as though one is sticking the points into Styrofoam. It's the only such fixture I have that uses that type of lamp, so I've no comparison.

Thanks.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 4:48PM
mjlb

I do know that lamp is the technical term for bulb, but since I'm a lay person, I persist in using the wrong term. I guess my main question is whether inserting that type of lamp normally feels as though one is sticking the points into Styrofoam. It's the only such fixture I have that uses that type of lamp, so I've no comparison.

Thanks.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 5:02PM
brickeyee

Many bi-pins have little to no 'feel' as the pins insert, while some have a distinct 'grip' to the contacts.

If you have access to a volt meter, a pair of small wire stubs will allow you to quickly see if there is any voltage at the socket.

Be sure to check on both AC and DC scales.
It could be either.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 3:02PM
mjlb

Thanks, brickeyee. I don't have a volt meter, but we have a really nice old-fashioned hardware store in town -- maybe they will test it for me.

Have a nice holiday, everyone!

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
linae
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™